• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pyramid power supply, a simple ?

Bundy

Tired and broke
Feb 16, 2009
NE Corner
I'm looking to set up a new base station and was looking at a Pyramid power supply but I notice it has banana plugs for the + and -. My old Astron just had studs so put a ring connector on the leads and I was done. I guess I need to attach banana plugs to the leads on the power wires, is that easy? What size plugs do I buy?? Can I attach them another way with those power supplies? Thanks in advance.

I would not use banana plugs if you are going to be pulling serious amps or any thing over 10 amps. If there is hole through the post fit the largest wire through it after it has been tinned. Run that wire to a terminal strip and break out the different connections from there.

I was just about to purchase it from Amazon and it only showed banana plugs on it and gave no further description. I'll look at pyramid's website now.

Banana plugs should have a hole thru the stud. You can either unscrew the connector and drop the wire thru the hole if it will fit or unscrew it all the way off and slip a ring terminal over the end and reinstall the banana jack insulator. If it does not unscrew all the way and come off then install forked terminal like these.

Kgrppn-ffo.jpg

Reactions: Bundy
I would not use banana plugs if you are going to be pulling serious amps or any thing over 10 amps.

I've used banana plugs with my HF set pulling 25A for 5 years with no issue. Banana plugs are rated at different currents. Get some rated for 30A and you'll be fine.

I've used banana plugs with my HF set pulling 25A for 5 years with no issue. Banana plugs are rated at different currents. Get some rated for 30A and you'll be fine.

I would not use Banana plugs for anything that required any power draw. The reason I don't like them is that they are insecure.
I prefer screw mount and ring lugs. But that's my opinion.

Reactions: mb91w126

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.