• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Q about amateurs frequency allowed to use

Radio2love

Mar 19, 2023
Hello radio amateurs.
Im pretty new to this forum, and my experience in using radio transmitters/walkie talkie is limited.
Basically it's the first time Im going to use my radio in US and I have couple of questions about the frequency I allowed to use.
My radio allow me to pick up almost any frequency but I'm not sure if in US each state (or each county) has their own amateur frequencies.
For instance, I checked, that I can use 462.6125 in Dutchess County NY without interfere with any government entities.
I don't know if this is the same for other states in USA ? For instance, I'm going to Grand County (Utah) and Mesa County (Colorado) this summer.
Do I have to check the local legislation against each state/county Im going to use my radio or FCC rules covers all states?
Please advise guys. Thank you

the fcc rules are for the whole country, not state to state. there are one or two frequencies you cant use or only low power or something like that if you are next to canada. i cant remember which ones though.

For instance, I checked, that I can use 462.6125 in Dutchess County NY without interfere with any government entities.
Nope you can't use this. Are you actually licensed? If you are you should know where and where not you can use your radio. Judging by your post I get the feeling you are not licensed and you are bringing a Chinese radio with you. If you are actually a ham then check here for rules and frequencies.. www.arrl.org. if you are not licensed the only place you can use your radio would be on the ham bands as 95% of all Chinese radios are not type accepted for use here. If you don't have a ham license then all you can do listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
w9cll,

I think that's one of the "pay-the-FCC" for the permit to use the frequencies, then the repeater owners charge for using their repeaters.
See the site below:

Yes, things he should know before pressing the PTT button on the mic.

His question was about amateur use and based on his post I am sure he is not licensed.
Yes, I very much agree with you. I kind of figured out that he knows very little about what he posted.
Doing some research before posting would have told him what he wanted to know.
Those are "no test, buy a permit" radio frequencies .... may look cool out in public, but you're still not an amateur.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.