• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QRMFM

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Yes, QR mf'n Mary. Worst I've ever had, and not sure where it is coming from. Antenna is a 80 meter delta loop, running a tuner and 4:1 balun. Used to be perfectly quiet, as the power lines are buried in this neighborhood. I DO have a new neighbor, so I'm wondering if this could be a burglar alarm or something. Have a listen, but take a shot of whiskey first. It will give you a headache really fast. Any ideas what the heck this is would be a help.

RT307

It really does peak on 11 meters. Very strange. And I have a plasma TV, and never experienced any interference previously. Hard to imagine that a neighbors' TV would do that. No interference in the driveway on my mobile (President Lincoln) with a 5' Firestick. I have tried several different rigs on the base just to see if another noise blanker would work better, but they all pick up the same thing.

RT307

I doubt they would be concerned with interference I am getting on the "free band". lol Thanks for the suggestion though!

RT307

I have those "signals" all over the 11 meter band out here due to oil and gas exploration companies.

They may be boring underneath your abode as we speak.

Sorry, I forgot to say that I tested with the Icom on both on AC from the house, and a DC battery car jumper box. Noise is there either way. Still need to disconnect the antenna, but since it is happening on several rigs, and both on AC and DC power, I suspect I am picking up a neighbor's trash via the loop. Still confounds me that the mobile does not pick it up. I did turn off the Plasma TV to confirm that is not the source.

RT307

but did you shut the whole house off with the main breaker?
in a friends case the noise died when i shut off the main.
turned out to be on the garage circuit.
the cause?
a so called smart battery charger used as a battery maintainer on a classic car.
Sorry, I forgot to say that I tested with the Icom on both on AC from the house, and a DC battery car jumper box. Noise is there either way. Still need to disconnect the antenna, but since it is happening on several rigs, and both on AC and DC power, I suspect I am picking up a neighbor's trash via the loop. Still confounds me that the mobile does not pick it up. I did turn off the Plasma TV to confirm that is not the source.

RT307

He has already confirmed that with his mobile radio and should also disconnect the antenna to the radio to eliminate that it is rf based.

In that case just wander into your neighbors garage and turn theirs off..:D

It's a pulsing signal. Could be a battery charger, electric fence transformer, etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.