• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quasar SDR?

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I recently had a QSO with a fella that had some great sounding audio. He told me he was running a Quasar SDR, IIRC. All I can find for Quasar is this site, which doesn't match up with what this fella told me he was running. He told me they were WAY ahead of what FlexRadio was doing, and for a whole lot less money:

Electronic Kits Projects Modules UK | Quasar - Velleman - Cebek

I was looking around on the internet to learn more, and came across these:

https://secure93.inmotionhosting.co...index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93

Genesis G11 Software Defined Radio Transceiver SDR QRP

http://www.sdr-cube.com/products.html

Do any of you guys know of the Quasar SDR rig, and where to find out more info on it?

Brett

I've never heard of the Quasar, but would like to know more. I've read about several of the other SDR rigs you posted, although I've never seen one in person.

Reactions: 1 person
I've never heard of the Quasar, but would like to know more. I've read about several of the other SDR rigs you posted, although I've never seen one in person.

I was hoping you might have heard of it. I'm starting to wonder now if I didn't get the name wrong. Haven't caught this guy back on the air since, and he's out of California... and the DX has been running that way, too! I really like the old rigs, but the new technology is fascinating to me, especially with the flexibility of filtering and how you can adjust your transmit audio pretty much infinitely.

Brett

.... I'm starting to wonder now if I didn't get the name wrong...,
Brett

the only SDR rigs I know of are FLEX, ELECRAFT, SOFTROCK, and SDR CUBE.

could it possibly have been QUADRATURE and not Quasar?

if so, look at the SDR CUBE rig

SDR Cube - sdr-cube.com
SDR Cube Transceiver OPERATING MANUAL - sdr-cube.com
SDR SDR Cube - A Portable Software Defined Radio Utilizing An Embedded DSP Engine for Quadrature Sampling Transceivers - sdr-cube.com

Reviews:

Updated SDR CUBE Software - w0anm.com
SDR Cube Transceiver OPERATING MANUAL - sdr-cube.com
SDR SDR Cube - A Portable Software Defined Radio Utilizing An Embedded DSP Engine for Quadrature Sampling Transceivers - sdr-cube.com Latest Kit – SDR Cube - w0anm.com

It definitely wasn't the Electraft or Alinco... so I'm leaning towards the Genesis Cube. I'm hoping to make contact with this guy again to make sure which one he was talking about.

Brett

Maybe, you heard wrong. Could it have been the QS1R Quick Silver SDR?
http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/

QuickSilver

I don't own one, but, I have heard people using them. The transmitter
is an add-on board. The spec's are good. But, not quite the same as the
new Flex 6000 Series radios. (sample rate for the QS1R is about half that
of the 6000 Series radios. But, it's MUCH cheaper than the Flex radios too!)
trucker

Did you look up his profile on QRZ.com?

He may have a photo of his shack or a list of gear he is running that would help you identify what he has.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.