• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quest for a better setup!

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
Thinkin about ditching the Wilson 5000 mag mount on my 01 ext cab GMC and drilling a hole in the top of the bed rail and mounting a 102" whip bout a foot from the rear of the bed. (6' 6" bed length) For a lower overall height can I use something non-conductive (probably nylon bailing twine) to tie the antenna forward for an overall height of about 8-9 ft.?

Any negative affects of holding the whip foward like that?
Would/could that be a better option than the Wilson 5000 Mag mount?
:bdh:

You can do that. Of course, you will have sticklers that will worry about radiation patterns. Just check your SWR in each position.

I've also seen the use of restraints to keep the antenna vertical when traveling at speeds. Just beef up the mounting area if it needs it. If you use a spring, keep in mind that sucker is gonna go boing boing all around. Might twang someone or something while cornering. I've treated a few guys hit by unsecured HF whips on jeeps when I was an Army medic.

I usually don't try to talk someone out of doing anything, but I would also consider a roof mount.

You can do that. Of course, you will have sticklers that will worry about radiation patterns. Just check your SWR in each position.

I've also seen the use of restraints to keep the antenna vertical when traveling at speeds. Just beef up the mounting area if it needs it. If you use a spring, keep in mind that sucker is gonna go boing boing all around. Might twang someone or something while cornering. I've treated a few guys hit by unsecured HF whips on jeeps when I was an Army medic.

I usually don't try to talk someone out of doing anything, but I would also consider a roof mount.

On a side note.

I had an old 79 Dodge Aspen Station Wagon with a steel whip. It was an awesome car. It was my work beater and beer wagon. I had a length of paracord tied to the upper 3rd of the whip. It came down thru an eyelet I had rigged to the luggage rack above the right window. I, or my passenger could pull the rope to lower the antenna for easy entry into drive thru beer docks.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.