• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about export radios frequency range (newbie)

technician

Dec 2, 2006
I'm seriously considering a radio for my Jeep, and being somewhat new I've got a question or two. I had originally planned on just purchasing a regular old CB radio for trail rides, but after doing research I came across the 10 meter export radios. If I'm understanding what I'm reading these radios can be modified to talk/listen to the CB frequencies along with the 10 meter frequencies (am I right)? If so, is it possible to have a mobile export, or HAM radio, that can listen/transmit on all frequencies (i.e. AM <-> HF)?

I guess I'm wondering because my buddies use CB on the trail so I'd like to be able to chat with them however wouldn't mind listening in to stuff going on in other frequencies. I'd eventually like to get a HAM license so I can chat up there, however for now I'd just like to listen in and get a feel for it.

Is this possible or am I totally misunderstanding things?

I have read on this forum and a few others, some newgroups, and websites that what I'm asking isn't legal, so I'm aware but interested nevertheless.

Hope you guys can turn the lightbulb on for me!

If you have the money and want a real ham radio that you can talk to your CB friends and listen in but not talk on the many bands...meters...frequencies that are strictly for the licensed operator only then go out and get yourself a Icom 706. At about $600.00 (or more ) they are one of the best radios that you can buy. BUT! By the letter of the law it is not legal to use a "ham radio" on the CB radio frequencies, at least that's what i have been told anyway. Just be warned that if you get caught the fines for doing so could be very stiff!

How does the ICOM that you mentioned compare to a YAESU FT-857D?

Thanks for the tip on the law, will keep in mind!

Dude, If your looking into have a HF rig?? Then get a Kenwood TS-50s for half the cost of a ICOM and YAESU.. Or even look for a ALINCO DX-70t. Both are good Ham Rig's. But if your just looking for a Great EXPORT radio. Then look at the RCI 2950-DX..
Tom

the yausu 857-D is a decent radio

Icom 706 MKIIG pretty much owns the market in all round do all multi mode multi band radio

i started out....Not Licenced for ham radio
However i got the 706 MKIIG to use simply on 11 meter/CB

Started getting great reports on my CB
Started listening in on ham bands

desided to get my ticket

So.....in short....i believe when buying.....to buy right once and buy best of what you are looking for....it usally turns out far cheeper in the end....as opposed to buying one radio...replacing with better...then replacing yet again etc

ofcourse now it is my back up radio
use mostly the Icom IC-7000 now for HF

ofcourse
i got 2 of my friends to do the same

regardless
706 MKIIG is AB-1 biased at 100 watts on SSB and i think is 30 or 40 on AM and 100 watts on FM and CW
will also do 160 meters though 70 cm (less 222 band)

which does far better then say 2970 DX that has C biasing
and can only go (after modes) 24 to 32 mhz

Good luck however you go

nix the 2950 or 2970 DX radios

alinco does make good radios as does kenwood

still best starter radio (if you can afford it) 706 MKIIG

Hmm, sounds like ICOM is the way to go then (thanks for the info!). Money isn't a huge issue as I've been saving up and am willing to save up a bit more to get the best mobile. KingCobra_CDX882 pretty much stated my buying philosophy, I always try to get the best even if I have to save up for a few months.

How will an ICOM radio fare with a Firestik II antenna? Will the antenna be able to handle the frequencies or do I need to look elsewhere for a decent antenna for my Jeep?

if you plan on transmitting only around the 27 mhz 11 meter and or freeband above cb
then the frances is fine

if you want to adress all of the 706 frequencies to transmitt on
then you will need at least 2 antennas

a multi band HF (like from tarheal)
and 2 meter/70cm

but likly you will be using throughout the 27 mhz range so i would not worry about getting multible antennas

however maybe better would be a wilson 1000
(for same 11 meter CB and freeband channels)

you do a lot of 4 wheeling
i used to do a lot of 4 wheeling
now is just here andthere in late spring through summer

I will checkout those antennas. I will be playing around in the 11 & 10 meter frequencies first though so it sounds like my Firestik will function well there.

I'm just getting into four wheeling, although it's a seasonal thing here where I live. It's way too cold for it now, will have to wait until spring and thereafter for hard rains. It's a blast, wish I would have gotten into it earlier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.