• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about magnetic loop silliness

wambulance

Sep 23, 2009
This seems silly to me;

"It should be noted that a high potential is present across the gap, and even at QRP levels can be dangerous. Certainly with higher powers, this situation can be LETHAL. I would personally not recommend the use of such a loop in the shack because in my opinion even, QRP levels can produce what may be dangerous amounts of RF, which has been blamed for brain damage. Suffice it to say that I know of one local who did use a mag loop indoors and wondered why the paint next to the loop was bubbling (!), and another who used a handheld VHF/UHF handheld, always with the rig next to his head. He died of a brain tumour. Whether there is any medical evidence or not, I think it wise to avoid situations of RF close to the body. Is it worth the risk?"

GM3MXN Magnetic Loop Antenna by dxzone.com

Does that sound ridiculous to you guys?
By the way, what's the difference between say a magnetic loop antenna and an AM loop antenna? Any, or just in name? Thanks in advance.

There is no disputing the fact that small magnetic loops can and do produce very high RF voltages on them even at qrp levels. As for the paint bubbling near the loop I would have to ask how close and what was the painted object made of. If it was anything conductive I would say that it was far too close to the antenna and was in the near field.Anything in the near field of an antenna is going to be creamed with RF but I still find it hard to believe the paint was actually bubbling. As for the guy dieing from a brain tumour,well it may or may not have been related.Probably not. My uncle died of a brain tumour and he never keyed a radio in his life. RF is not a friend to living tissue and that is why there are RF exposure limits and those limits are well below what is considered safe to begin with.I was in the commercial broadcasting business as a station engineer for 22 years and worked with high power AM and FM transmitters. I know several station engineers that actually live at their transmitter sites,one for over 30 years, and they are all normal. Well.... as normal as any broadcast engineer can be. :whistle:

Thanks for that insight, QRN. Now are AM loops different than magnetic loops or is it the same thing? Thanks in advance.

I was thinking that if the power was that high to produce paint bubbling, heck I should line a whole bunch of them up and find a way to harness that power lol. Maybe run my house or cook my meals on it. Eh, maybe not.

The only way I could ever see paint bubbling is like I said if it was really really close to the antenna and the painted object was a ferrous metal of some sort. In that case It could be a form of induction heating.

A magnetic loop is simply a loop that is very small,typically 1/10 wavelength or less,and respond to the magnetic component of an electro-magnetic wave (radio signal).

Here is some good info on magnetic loops:

AA5TB - Small Loop Antennas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.