• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

question about the FCC's description of a "cb transmitter"

After looking at the "Official List" of banned radios, I noticed that there are a LOT of early model export rigs that weren't included. I own 3 of them myself. I won't mention their names, 'cause someone might tell the FCC. Anyway, they're legal here. .

OMG, you won't be on the ten most wanted.

IMO, exports are overpriced crap.

Buy a CB or a ham rig. Exports are the worst of both worlds.

C2,
CB and amateur/ham radio are not the same service at all. They are covered by different rules. The rules that apply to one service do not necessarily apply to the other (both directions). To be commercially sold in this country radios for both services have to meet certain standards and are then issued a type acceptance certification. That's the law, period.
The 'list' is merely a list of radios that do not have type acceptance. From seeing how things work with ~any~ government, not just ours, it take time to do anything. That includes up-dating that 'list'. It's not being absolutely current doesn't mean much in it's self, the reason for that list still holds.
You think the way things are 'channelized', or how things are measured in Mhz is silly? Okay, think of it any way you like, that's fine. But they are common conventions that are currently "the way things are done" so you should at least be aware of them. A "band" is just a convenient way of referring to a range of frequencies. It's usually expressed in Meters referring to the length of a radio wave at that particular frequency. The number given to a band, such as 11 meters, just means that the range of frequencies are typically close to that wave length. It isn't exact at all. Just convenient. Want to change that? Fine, have at it! But don't hold your breath, just ain't gonna happen, too much trouble.
Like it or not, there are just some things that you have to accept.
- 'Doc

Yes, the uninformed will continue to shell out $$$ for an inferior product that many have no idea that they use it where they shouldn't go.

I've had other truck drivers look at some of my rigs and had no idea of the existence of frequencies other than CB. "How many channels does that Icom have?":headbang

I'm not questioning the radios' legality from a useage standpoint. The point I'm making is that since these radios do not appear on the FCC list, it is perfectly LEGAL to buy and sell them. On this forum, on eBay, or anywhere else for that matter.

Nope. Still doesn't work that way. List or NO list, if someone is using a chrome-faced radio with rebel-flags (that's just for ID purposes), beeps and echos, a BAND switch with 240 "channels" and it has as much as ONE watt over 4 on CB, it will be deemed illegal to USE OR SELL (on CB). And that is only according to Part 95. Radios MUST have what is actually called FCC C E R T I F I C A T I O N! This includes a FILE or certification number registered WITH FCC AND a STICKER attached to the radio with said number on it. It is this certification, or LACK of it, that will "gitcha"!:drool:
So that means that if a seller's wares (radios) do not have that certi number, he is gonna get FINED same as the USER that uses such a radio on CB.

Like Doc said, the rules that apply to amateur radio have nothing to with those that apply to CB radio. The so-called "10 Meter 'amateur' Radios" are against the law to SELL due to the lack of certification! Yet a licensed amateur CAN buy one from a dealer with an FCC agent standing next to him LOOKING and not get cited. Amateurs can use a TOASTER on amateur frequencies if they can get it to transmit a signal within spectral purity standards. The DEALER would then get a citation (or a fine, depending) for SELLING the radio while the ham walks out the door with it. Unfair? No. Not really. Why? Because, like Doc said, the rules for both services are completely disparate from one another. IOW, it is unlawful for the dealer to SELL/market the radio, but it is not illegal for the ham to BUY it and USE it ON the amateur 10 Meter band. No need to argue with ME, that is just how it is!!! Ask FCC about it.

As to the much debated "list", it does exist, but has always been difficult to locate on the FCC's web page. The link provided on QTH.COM is accurate and comes from the Feds. We'll find it.(y)

CWM

i am going to rename this thread, "the energizer bunny" thread! LOL

it just keeps going and going...

LOL

good stuff here folks!
LC

I am frustrated that hams are denied access to budget transceivers for the 12 and 10 meter bands.
Examples are the rci-2950 and magnum-257.
These units are legitimate for use on the ham bands, and work fine for such purpose.

Sure they are not as nice as even the least expensive yaecomwood.
But they do offer a chance to get on the air for the most budget-constricted amateur.

dudmuck,
Don't feel too frustrated. 'Hams' are not denied the ability to be 'frugal' anymore than others. Actually, they have more ability to use "junk" equipment than any other radio operators. "Junk", not because of brand but because they are allowed to rebuild/refurbish real live junked radios that don't work. Or, just build their own from scratch. Sure, that means that it isn't exactly as simple as clipping a diode/wire and have what they want, but they can use almost anything as a starting point, and wind up with a fairly nice radio. The catch is that it has to meet minimum standards when finished, and that means that they have to know something about how the whole thing works so they can build it, which typically means lots of muscle and brain sweat. Unfortunately, the radio hobby is an expensive one. It's also sort of like fishing. You can fish with a piece of string, a safety-pin, and a fairly long stick. Or you can shell out the $$ for a bass boat, fancy lures and rods/reels, and something to haul all that around with. "You paid WHAT for a chromed stick to knock a little ball into a hole??", sort of thingy, right? All puns intended! :)
- 'Doc

If it weren't for radio lists, FCC fines, and FCC warnings, C.W.Morse wouldn't have anything to talk about except for Postrate trouble, Constipation, Diareaha, and stomach viruses.:headbang (y)(y)(y)

If it weren't for radio lists, FCC fines, and FCC warnings, C.W.Morse wouldn't have anything to talk about except for Postrate trouble, Constipation, Diareaha, and stomach viruses.:headbang (y)(y)(y)

Except for being published (and paid) for articles in a national magazine, flying with friends out at the airport, building HF mobile antennas (for which 'coax length' is not a factor) [participating in both amateur, civil , and military emergency communications operations, building furniture in a pretty complete woodworking shop and simply enjoying life. Today, I helped a disabled ham, with the help of a friend, erect a 50 ft tower.

I have none of the problems of which you speculate since you don't know me at all, nor the state of my health.

And men don't HAVE "postrate" trouble unless they are lying flat on their backs! The gland of which you speak is P R O S T A T E, not "postrate". :D:D

CWM

C2,
CB and amateur/ham radio are not the same service at all. They are covered by different rules. The rules that apply to one service do not necessarily apply to the other (both directions). To be commercially sold in this country radios for both services have to meet certain standards and are then issued a type acceptance certification. That's the law, period.
The 'list' is merely a list of radios that do not have type acceptance. From seeing how things work with ~any~ government, not just ours, it take time to do anything. That includes up-dating that 'list'. It's not being absolutely current doesn't mean much in it's self, the reason for that list still holds.
You think the way things are 'channelized', or how things are measured in Mhz is silly? Okay, think of it any way you like, that's fine. But they are common conventions that are currently "the way things are done" so you should at least be aware of them. A "band" is just a convenient way of referring to a range of frequencies. It's usually expressed in Meters referring to the length of a radio wave at that particular frequency. The number given to a band, such as 11 meters, just means that the range of frequencies are typically close to that wave length. It isn't exact at all. Just convenient. Want to change that? Fine, have at it! But don't hold your breath, just ain't gonna happen, too much trouble.
- 'Doc

It seems to me that the reason that most "export" type radios have bands is more of a technical one, and the reason that ham radios have bands is more of a political one.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my transmitter covers 0.01Hz to 2,200MHz in something like 12 physical bands, for filtering and amplification, but the range from 2,200MHz to 10,000MHz is a single band. These bands do not coincide with anything that the FCC or any other governmental agency has defined.

I'm still focused on this official/unofficial list. If, "To be commercially sold in this country radios for both services have to meet certain standards and are then issued a type acceptance certification. That's the law, period." Then there is an official list of certified radios. Great! Perhaps we should certify the saleworthyness of everything else marketed here in the US, even services themselves! It might help keep the melamine out of our toothpast.

What's the question? Oh yeah, the "other" list, and is it really "official" ? I.e., recognized by a sanctioned body of law, or whatever the appropriate term is to be today. Or is it just sanctioned by eHam, QRZ, or whatever the latest fad site wishes to host it today?

Who said it's kinda hard to find on the FCC site? I think they are still digging for it.

I'm just an uninterested party in the argument anyway. I could really care less what turns out of these ramblings, or of what legal actions may result from any activities born of these dark devices as it is of no consequence to me. I have yet to hear anything on 10 meters anyway.

Don't get too hung up on what a band is defined as. Mostly, it's a matter of convenience. If you are referring to a particular 'chunk' of frequencies, it's just easier to do so if you have a 'name' for that 'chunk' than if you have to spell it out each time you say it/refer to it.
That convenience works both ways, by the way. referring to any particular frequency in terms of wave length can get really aggravating. Would you rather say 27.185 Mhz, or channel 19, or 11.03549 Meters? No body does that anymore, the meters thingy? You're right, but 'frequency' was referred to in that way "in the beginning", so it's a kind of 'carry over', sort of (that was a long time before there was a CB band so not exactly the best example, right? You get the idea though.). It does come in handy at times. As long as you know what 'they' are talking about, or can do the figuring, while it may not be very convenient, you still know what 'they' are referring to. Not the 'best' way of doing things? Well, maybe not but remember it's people doing that referring and I only know of one 'people' who'z perfect. Wanna guess who da't is?? :)

As for the legality of things, it's too late to change that. Is there an official list specifying the 'allowed' and the 'not allowed'? Maybe, but I doubt if it's ever absolutely current. Each radio is determined individually by the specified requirements. Basically the way a lot of things are determined, not just radios. You can do that 'determining' yourself, or go by what the governing body says, who has already done that determining. I don't plan to buy all the stuff thats needed to do that, so I'll take their word for it.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated