• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question for Kenwood 'nuts'.

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I've been seeing that Kenwood has a control head, 'RC-D710', like the one on the TM-D710, which is supposed to be usable on a few of their other radios like the '71, '700, and '708. I wonder what exactly this will allow those 'older' radios to do that they don't do now? At almost half price, and already having one of those 'older' radios, it sounds like it would be a more 'tasty' option than just buying a '710. Any ideas??
- 'Doc

Doc, it won't give all the features of the 710 but you do gain a better display and a few more creature comforts.
here is a little more. You have to have the external interface unit, but I certainly don't see why
not. I have put mine on a 708 and a 700.

Thanks for that! The "external interface unit", is that something separate from that 'RC-D710' or is it part of that 'head'?

I've noticed that there is a difference between the '700 and '708 control heads. The '708 head seems to be easier to see on either the 700 or the 708, than the '700's head. No idea why, other than the name embossed on them, I think they're both the same head.

I've also come to the conclusion that doing the APRS thing with the '700 or the '710 isn't always the best way to do it. I use a separate, self-contained transmitter for the truck positioning. Doesn't tie up a radio and since I don't worry about watching the display when it's in use. Only time I really watch the APRS map is when fixed and keeping track of the mobiles I need to keep track of (a weather thing). Of course, if I want to watch things in the truck, there's always the laptop and a scanner to do the receiving, works out just fine for me. Your millage may vary, kind'a thing.
Oh well, 'nuff of that.
thanks..
- 'doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.