• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question for the guru's

I can do it, but perfection will only be approximated.

I cannot be restricted to 27 MHz, though. I must go higher. I may do so for the 23cm band. That will make it easier to approximate perfection.

I can use a solid copper core conductor as the radiating element, maybe I have some 22 or 32 gage.

I can use a copper clad groundplane. A 1/4 WL diameter, or more? Probably more, maybe 10 WL?

I can use a frequency domain reflectometer to conduct measurements, and I can report SWR, return loss, and complex impedance, amongst other things, to resolutions of 0.01; and I can set up the measurement so there is no coax beyond the calibration plane.

Is this the direction?

C2, I thought I was in the CB section.

All I can do anymore is model and I can scale to any frequency you can measure with my Eznec models.

C2, this is why I started studying about antennas, mostly the 1/4 wave, a long time ago, and I started in the real world...long before we had the Internet. I was hearing bad reports about installing stainless steel 102" whips, and claims that they wouldn't work right on a lot of mobile installs. I didn't know why that was...and I was curious.

So I started with the contraption I posted above. I wasn't looking for perfection, but I found that was nearly possible in the real world using a simple 102" whip with a few more slanted down radials attached. All I had was an inline SWR meter at first plus an old Palomar noise bridge. Then later I got me a portable analyzer, but still few believed what I post as my results. Later I learned to get Eznec to make a model, but then even fewer believed what I posted. I sure hope you can put some light on this subject.

So.......I don't know if this is the direction, but keep it simple and keep us posted, OK?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.