• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question on programing and PL/ctcss

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I have a Kenwood TM-281A nice little radio and I noticed while programing the radio that I can set up menu #2 for T or tone. I can set up menu #3 for CT or CTCSS. When I program a memory channel for a repeater I set them Both to the same and use the CTCSS. What is the difference. I Don't understand what the difference is. the tones are the same?

What software are you using? The 'MCP_1a' program doesn't have those selections in the menus.
- 'Doc

Oops, or are you programming from the front panel?

Last edited:
T is the tone to use if the repeater needs one to open the repeater's receiver. CT is used to open your receiver in the case where a distance repeater interferes with the local one you are using. The assumption is the distant repeater is not transmitting CT or the CT is different than the local one. I usually program both on the off chance CT is needed and the repeater setup was changed to output the tone. Then I just change my radio from T to CT and don't have to check the CT tone value. I think its better to just use T unless you know that repeater is being used with CT when it transmits. With CT on with your radio and the repeater is not transmitting the tone it will seem like there is no activity. Which in some areas and times seems to be the case.:D

Mike

I have a Kenwood TM-281A nice little radio and I noticed while programing the radio that I can set up menu #2 for T or tone. I can set up menu #3 for CT or CTCSS. When I program a memory channel for a repeater I set them Both to the same and use the CTCSS. What is the difference. I Don't understand what the difference is. the tones are the same?

You can program a different tone for RX and TX. I believe setting the "T" function sets what tone is transmitted while setting the CTCSS tone determines what tone is required to unlock the receiver. Some repeaters need a tone to open them up but you do not need a tone to listen to them. In this case you would need to have a "T' setting enabled in order to transmit that tone but the CTCSS function does not need to be active and in most cases should not be turned on or you will not hear anything.

Check page 46 of your manual.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.