• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Questions about 10 meter tranceivers

Out of the few exports I had with minimal problems was the magnum 257HP & Magnum S9 60w they were OK rigs. I will give htx10 & htx100 a shot soon even tho they cant be modified thats ok.

yepers rci2950dx is a good

radio for what it is.And the mag 257 is a rad shack htx10 and the htx100 is a striped down hr2510.I have heard the s9 mag has a sloppy recieve if used mbl.I have never had one,bit had many 2950s and hr2600 had htx100 and htx10...I modded many cobras and uniden radios to 10 and 12mtrs.Even did a browning mk4a,hehe...But they are just glorified cb radios,not a Kenwood or any other hf radio,there isnt a comparison.I run a old Siltronix 1011d or a rci2980wx on 10mtrs,and a ft450d on other bands,you dont need alot of pwr on 10mtrs,and i just run about 30 to 40wts.73 from the dry MIZZO de JW

radio for what it is.And the mag 257 is a rad shack htx10 and the htx100 is a striped down hr2510.I have heard the s9 mag has a sloppy recieve if used mbl.I have never had one,bit had many 2950s and hr2600 had htx100 and htx10...I modded many cobras and uniden radios to 10 and 12mtrs.Even did a browning mk4a,hehe...But they are just glorified cb radios,not a Kenwood or any other hf radio,there isnt a comparison.I run a old Siltronix 1011d or a rci2980wx on 10mtrs,and a ft450d on other bands,you dont need alot of pwr on 10mtrs,and i just run about 30 to 40wts.73 from the dry MIZZO de JW

I was never really happy with the reciever on rci radios. Thin narrow IMO. But it has lots of features but not many memory channels for sure.

The HTX 100 i had was a great radio, in fact the RX was better than any of my 2510`s, the 2510 uses a 5 Khz filter and the HTX 100 has a 3 Khz filter....this is because the All mode 2510 had to compromise to allow the wider AM signal to pass through and still sound good.
The HTX did not have AM so it did not need the wider filter.
And that radio can be used from 26.000 to 30.000 just like the hr2510, there were guys that used them as exciters for outboard 2 meter transverter`s so they could work SSB on the 2 meter band.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
The HTX 100 i had was a great radio, in fact the RX was better than any of my 2510`s, the 2510 uses a 5 Khz filter and the HTX 100 has a 3 Khz filter....this is because the All mode 2510 had to compromise to allow the wider AM signal to pass through and still sound good.
And that radio can be used from 26.000 to 30.000 just like the hr2510, there were guys that used them as exciters for outboard 2 meter transverter`s so they could work SSB on the 2 meter band.

Jeff

Jeff nailed it. The HTX-100 is still the most well designed 10 meter radio out there. NO...it's not modifiable for 11 meters but it is a solid 10 meter rig!!! I own two of them. Do yourself a favor and pick one up now while they are still available and affordable. Then you can use it to compare other 10 meter radios to. You'll quickly see that all the other "export" radios out there are cheaply made crap meant to be modded for 11 meters.

I have a HR 2510 that I run in my truck and the front end is so wide you can drive a semi through it but they were, once again, designed to be modified and run AM.

Reactions: 1 person

Jeff

Looks like my next ten meter rig is a htx100 :) thanks jeff for that info. what do you mean by exciter on 2m ? Its good to hear it will open up for freeband on ssb.:thumbsup:

Lol, drive a truck through is a bit harsh, but there is a noticeable difference in the RX on the two radios.
It was built by Uniden just like the President radios were.
In fact the "Flat Pack" CPU is a Uniden chip Part # UC-1208
There are a couple of pins on the CPU that are tied to ground on the CPU ( just like the 2510/2600/LINCOLN radios) you have to cut the trace and apply 5 Volts DC to them to un-lock the radio for full coverage
V/S the radioshack htx 100 only does USB and CW so it might not be very useful as a "free-band" radio.

what do you mean by exciter on 2m ?

Use a ten meter radio as the IF for a 2( or other bands) meter converter, or transverter.
Back when there were not a lot of all mode radios one way was to work 2 meter SSB was to use a transverter, this would take the signal from a ten meter rig, and convert it to 2 meters. ( back in the "good ole days" there was a lot of AM used on 2 meters not FM or SSB)
This was a way to be able to work SSB on 2 meters, look for the Ten-Tec 2 meter converter.
There were other models, some required you to drop the final out of the TX of the exciter because they only needed miliwatts to operate.
Some required you to modifiy the exciter quite a bit, some not.
Here is some info to read.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/journal.htm

To

Jeff

Last edited:
Lol, drive a truck through is a bit harsh, but there is a noticeable difference in the RX on the two radios.
It was built by Uniden just like the President radios were.
In fact the "Flat Pack" CPU is a Uniden chip Part # UC-1208
There are a couple of pins on the CPU that are tied to ground on the CPU ( just like the 2510/2600/LINCOLN radios) you have to cut the trace and apply 5 Volts DC to them to un-lock the radio for full coverage
V/S the radioshack htx 100 only does USB and CW so it might not be very useful as a "free-band" radio.

Use a ten meter radio as the IF for a 2( or other bands) meter converter, or transverter.
Back when there were not a lot of all mode radios one way was to work 2 meter SSB was to use a transverter, this would take the signal from a ten meter rig, and convert it to 2 meters. ( back in the "good ole days" there was a lot of AM used on 2 meters not FM or SSB)
This was a way to be able to work SSB on 2 meters, look for the Ten-Tec 2 meter converter.
There were other models, some required you to drop the final out of the TX of the exciter because they only needed miliwatts to operate.
Some required you to modifiy the exciter quite a bit, some not.
Here is some info to read.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/journal.htm

To

Jeff

Right on. Yea I knew 2m used to be AM. and I just read about converting the htx100 by cutting a trace on the chip. I ment freebanding on ssb only, not am as the radio doesn't do AM. Good read on that link !

I'm trying to decide on what kind of mobile 10 meter tranceiver to look for.....what are some pros and cons of the export radios from a functional standpoint?

Pros...easier to find than the HTX-10 or HTX-100. Some of them have more power than either mentioned radio.

Cons....some of the exports aren't designed to really be run on the 10M band...some of them can't do CW, and some of them do not have CTCSS for repeater use.

Also as N8FGB mentioned, most exports tune in 10k steps, such as the Magnum 257, which looks like an HTX-10. So in other words when you're scanning the band for a chat, the radio goes 28.400, then 28.410, then 28.420, etc....if someone happens to be in between the 10 k frequency (i.e. 28.414), you have to push a button to change the radio to do 1kHz steps...but then as you spin the dial, the last digit (28.419) then goes back to 28.411.....and you have to undo what you just did to go back to the 10 k steps again....if you get what I am saying....it's really a PITA if you ask me.

Also radios like the HTX-10 command some (IMO) steep prices. Here on eBay lately they have been going for well over $100. I should have bought the one a guy from our local ham club for $40 last January, but I passed the deal to a friend because my wife just purchased me a 257 HP. :headbang

Qoute "Check out the uniden HR2600 OR HR2510. RCI RX IS THIN. GALAXY = JUNK. EXPORTS ARE FOR EXTRA CLASS CBERS OR CBERS WISHING THEY WERE SMART ENOUGH TO PASS A SIMPLE TEST." end quote

The above is nothing but trash talk and ignorant as can be. I would put my IQ results and my multiple college degree's and numerous trade specific certifications up against anyone. I had a Novice Ticket in Boy Scouts. Unlike most modern Amateur which are functionally crippled nit wits that think they are better then most they are like most of the population and of little use to anyone. Why? Most of them could not build a crystal radio set if I turned them lose in a junk yard or Radio Shack to save their life let alone an amplifier or HF rig. Passing the test's are easy having to be associated with intelligent people that are basically bigots and trash due to their personality and opinion or perception of others that is what makes becoming a "Ham" difficult......

I do agree avoid Galaxy and most of the so called "Export Radio's"!! Best bang for the buck is the RCI 2950DX it has 10 and 12 meter coverage out of the box with no conversion needed. It is solid radio and is 10 meter repeater ready. The HR2600, President Lincoln and the like do not have the ability out of the box to do 10 meter repeater work and they do not do 12 meter either. The last chassis built was the President Lincoln I have one and it was made in 1998 so the newest one you could get would be 14 years old and most of them go for $150-$300 which is stupid to pay for a 14 year old radio that sold for $248 or less when new. The HR2510/2600 and all of the models that followed where all considered export radio's as are the 2950's because you can modify them for 11 meter use.....That type of thinking though is plain stupid since most of the old Ham radio that where made prior to or just after 11 meter was taken from hams and given to CB had that feature in them meaning continuous coverage from 10-12 with no break in the coverage.

So go to Copper since they have the lowest price that I am aware of and order a 2950DX do not get it converted or tuned leave the cover's on it. Hook a nice amplified mic to it and call it a day. If you have a real Ham Linear that needs upwards of 100 watt input to drive it then get a 2970DX or N2 these will easily drive an amp needing 100watts of input.

The 2950DX is new is cheap at $248, has great AM/SSB audio, it's FM is ok, has great receive, rock solid on SSB no drifting, you can control your carrot value for tuning, oh and it has what a 2 year warranty.......It does 10/12 meters right out of the box and if you did want to get 11 meter's it will do that as well. Just do not broadcast on 11 meter's. You will never see a brand new amateur radio that has 3 bands with contionious coverage at a price point of $248 the price alone is too insulting to the idiots that spend huge money on Icom and Kenwood etc.....gear.......If it does not cost more then it should then it is not exclusive enough for most of them and they do not want it.......It is not performance that drives the ownership of some products it is the price point and the fact that only a small number of people can afford an item!! A lot of people judge quality and performance by price alone.

Qoute "Check out the uniden HR2600 OR HR2510. RCI RX IS THIN. GALAXY = JUNK. EXPORTS ARE FOR EXTRA CLASS CBERS OR CBERS WISHING THEY WERE SMART ENOUGH TO PASS A SIMPLE TEST." end quote

The above is nothing but trash talk and ignorant as can be. I would put my IQ results and my multiple college degree's and numerous trade specific certifications up against anyone. I had a Novice Ticket in Boy Scouts. Unlike most modern Amateur which are functionally crippled nit wits that think they are better then most they are like most of the population and of little use to anyone. Why? Most of them could not build a crystal radio set if I turned them lose in a junk yard or Radio Shack to save their life let alone an amplifier or HF rig. Passing the test's are easy having to be associated with intelligent people that are basically bigots and trash due to their personality and opinion or perception of others that is what makes becoming a "Ham" difficult......

I do agree avoid Galaxy and most of the so called "Export Radio's"!! Best bang for the buck is the RCI 2950DX it has 10 and 12 meter coverage out of the box with no conversion needed. It is solid radio and is 10 meter repeater ready. The HR2600, President Lincoln and the like do not have the ability out of the box to do 10 meter repeater work and they do not do 12 meter either. The last chassis built was the President Lincoln I have one and it was made in 1998 so the newest one you could get would be 14 years old and most of them go for $150-$300 which is stupid to pay for a 14 year old radio that sold for $248 or less when new. The HR2510/2600 and all of the models that followed where all considered export radio's as are the 2950's because you can modify them for 11 meter use.....That type of thinking though is plain stupid since most of the old Ham radio that where made prior to or just after 11 meter was taken from hams and given to CB had that feature in them meaning continuous coverage from 10-12 with no break in the coverage.

So go to Copper since they have the lowest price that I am aware of and order a 2950DX do not get it converted or tuned leave the cover's on it. Hook a nice amplified mic to it and call it a day. If you have a real Ham Linear that needs upwards of 100 watt input to drive it then get a 2970DX or N2 these will easily drive an amp needing 100watts of input.

The 2950DX is new is cheap at $248, has great AM/SSB audio, it's FM is ok, has great receive, rock solid on SSB no drifting, you can control your carrot value for tuning, oh and it has what a 2 year warranty.......It does 10/12 meters right out of the box and if you did want to get 11 meter's it will do that as well. Just do not broadcast on 11 meter's. You will never see a brand new amateur radio that has 3 bands with contionious coverage at a price point of $248 the price alone is too insulting to the idiots that spend huge money on Icom and Kenwood etc.....gear.......If it does not cost more then it should then it is not exclusive enough for most of them and they do not want it.......It is not performance that drives the ownership of some products it is the price point and the fact that only a small number of people can afford an item!! A lot of people judge quality and performance by price alone.

Ha it was a joke I wasnt being serious. IMO.

RCI 2950 DX works great for ten meters for 525.00 you can get an Alinco HF rig DX-SR8 and do 100 watts on SSB . The alinco may be a little big for Mobile.

The HR 2600 could work repeaters without modification.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.