• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Questions and advice

JimmyG

Apr 22, 2012
Hello everyone. I have lurked here for a while and other radio forums but like this site a lot. I have not been active for a while so just starting back up. I decided to buy a Kenwood 281 2meter rig to get things going. Due to limited budget, I have to buy things as I can, like many of us Im sure. Anyway, I have a couple questions. I just moved to a house that is close to high power lines,(100' away), so I want to ask about possible interferance and antenna's that might be better to get out of hills and hollers of Tennessee. I have hills on three sides of me, but a clear shot directly South facing. I could place antenna up on top of one the hills, and would have a coax run of about 75' if I did that. If I get the antenna higher, perhaps up a tree on a boom, maybe a 110' of coax run. Anyway, I have been studying this a while and would like to get some feedback from more experienced operators than I.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't think you will have any problems with power lines, or, you shouldn't anyway. As for getting a VHF/UHF antenna higher, that's always a good idea. With a run of something like 150 feet I think you should look at low loss coax, something like LMR-400 should work just fine. There would be a little loss, but it shouldn't amount to a huge amount, it'll certainly be usable.
I'm familiar with the TM-281, it's a very nice, and very simple 2 meter radio. I like it.
- 'Doc

Thanks for the reply. I will check out the low loss coax for sure. Still researching antennas, hope to find something that will get the job done out here in the sticks.

Hello everyone... I have hills on three sides of me, but a clear shot directly South facing. I could place antenna up on top of one the hills....

that's kinda difficult to answer,...

how high are the "hills"?
are you talking about using FM repeaters? FM simplex?,....
(does the 281 do SSB?)

for simplex, generally higher is better @ VHF.

are there many (any) repeaters near you in TN?
you may be able to work them with an antenna at 10 feet,.............. or may not be able with one at 50+ feet.

BTW, about what part of tn are you in?

I know of several 2 meter linked systems that you may be able to work.
also there are a few of us that operate 2 meter SSB that you should be able to work from anywhere in TN.

The hills are probably 50' above me. I have repeaters at 7 miles, 35 miles, 50 miles from me. The one 7 miles is directly East , over one of the hills. I am located between Nashville and Jackson, right about the middle.
thanks for the replies.

The hills are probably 50' above me. I have repeaters at 7 miles, 35 miles, 50 miles from me. The one 7 miles is directly East , over one of the hills. I am located between Nashville and Jackson, right about the middle.
thanks for the replies.

I travel in that area pretty often. White Bluff, Dickson, Lyles, Jackson, and Collierville on my way to Memphis to see Elvis. :laugh: I'd definitely lean towards really good coax and the antenna on the hill. That Kenwood has some pretty good oomph with 65 watts, so with either a beam or a high gain omni, you ought to do pretty darned good. And I know you're on a tight budget, so check out the dude on YouTube that makes 2m/440 beams out of old TV antennas. Might be a way to get you where you want to be on the cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4B2r4Axz4

Brett

Last edited:
If your budget is tight don't forget about used gear. Hamfests, Ebay, local hams, swap nets, ham radio websites, etc.
That Kenwood may be a good rig, I don't know. I've had nothing but disasters from Kenwood.
I would get your antenna as high as you can and use the best, low loss coax you can.

Radio came yesterday. A friend has an older antenna he said I could use. Now coax and DC power and I can hook er up. Getting there little by little.
Thanks for the replies so far.

Reactions: 1 person
Pics are always nice, if you can. I like to live vicariously through others. :D Glad you got your rig and an antenna!

Brett

Wrong post please delete.

Last edited:
Well, back again. Used borrowed antenna may be a bust for now, so I'm back with just a couple more questions.
Based upon my previous info about location, I have kind of narrowed my antenna selection down to an Opek uvs 300 hooked up with low loss coax and put it up on a pole about 20' in the air. Calculations at this point is that this will require about 40' of coax. Going up on the hill enough to clear the hilly horizon will require approximately 150' of coax. So, that is where I am at. I just wish I had enough experience to know if I should start with the 20' above the house or bite the bullet and buy the coax to go on the hill. My gut says, go up on the mountain, my wallet says, play in the valley. Maybe I'm just to careful with what I have to work with. I can wait, I am patient. Anyhow, just my thoughts for now.
I appreciate the thoughts of this group and the patience. Thanks again.

I have a question>
Your budget for your antenna and feedline...combined without busting your bank?
Do you have a power supply to run your rig, and if so what is the rated amperage of your supply?
This will help us help you in making some suggestions.
Welcome to the hobby!:D
We are here to help(y)
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

BJ radionut, I can do the antenna and feed, but I am still looking for the power supply. Looked at Mega watt power supply S-350-12 30 amp supply after reading from others that know it,about $50.00 so there ya go. Whatcha think?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.