• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

R10-00003 Ranger Superstar SS-JA

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
Anyone know anything about these radios or tested one, price seems to low for this or it is a drifter ..
DOCTOR 795

Anyone know anything about these radios or tested one, price seems to low for this or it is a drifter ..
DOCTOR 795

as noted by camaro1, this is discussed elsewhere.
HOWEVER, based on what we've all seen on ebay, for 150 bux, if it works, it's a deal. your typical 20 year old NOS that layed in the shack for 20 years, never opened. except there's more then just 1. we've all bought 1 of those NOS shack finds that worked flawlessly. and we've all bought 1 that was a dried out pig. with more then 1, we all have a chance of hitting the lottery.
just can't bring myself to do it though. 'cause it's a jackson. if it was a grant however......i'd have a harder time talking myself out of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone contact Ranger about replacing the old caps and about the corrosion on the components?
It would seem like they would have to address all the issues under warranty.

ranger ss-ja

This is an exact replica of the jackson board made by ranger i seen one and it is the old jackson. The radio has the same old final does about the same wattage within reason, must not get it much over 30-35 on ssb. From what i seen all the old glue issues are gone and it is a worthy radio for the price plus it is a 6 band radio where if i am not mistaken the old one was a 5. This is not a NOS radio it is a reproduction by ranger. Hope this helps

This is not a NOS radio it is a reproduction by ranger.

I think you are going to find more than a few members here that will dispute that part, from what I have seen it is using a old board and old parts that you will not find in production any more.
Look at the other thread and the pictures that have been posted, along with the comments by other members.
From all the info at hand so far it seems these boards were stored away and now brought back out with many of the old componets still being used.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Buy one for yourself, then open the case and smell the funk. Admire the corrosion and old dried up glue and thermal compound.

These are old and NOT an exact copy of the original Uniden Jackson.

Old hack Wayne in Ohio may think so, but he needs new glasses.

From all of the threads going I think we have gathered that they are not like the Jackson.

I do wonder what it would have been called had it come out back in 84'?

From all of the threads going I think we have gathered that they are not like the Jackson.

I do wonder what it would have been called had it come out back in 84'?

I must disagree.

In fact, you can use the same Uniden Jackson schematic to troubleshoot the SuperStar JA. Some of the parts may have slightly different values in a few places; but these two radios also share the same problems, fixes, and mods as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.