• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Racapping an Event

I am in the process of recapping a uniden PC122 right now. got it working now just changing the caps to make sure all are good. with age they go bad. I do not have to order parts since I keep 50 to 100 pcs of each cap on hand . cheaper that way. just pull out my cabinet and pull one and install the new one.

Reactions: mb91w126
I am in the process of recapping a uniden PC122 right now. got it working now just changing the caps to make sure all are good. with age they go bad. I do not have to order parts since I keep 50 to 100 pcs of each cap on hand . cheaper that way. just pull out my cabinet and pull one and install the new one.

Sonoma, do you buy at a local or online supplier? Was just curious where the best place to buy caps and other components in bulk would be.
Don't have anything but a local rat shack round here, and they don't have much.
I've bought from mouser online, they're the only one I know of.

Okay, another question. Some guy on Ebay sells kits with forty electrolytic Caps for the 142GTL, I counted 32 in the parts list. Are they replacing some of the Mylar Caps or what?

not sure what all he has in his kits. there is 2 that sells on ebay. one in Canada and the other in Portorico. spelling is wrong on the last one. he could be replacing some of the tantalum ones. not sure but about 7 of them.

I do pretty much the same thing; but not anywhere close to the same numbers stocked that Sonoma has. I am not in business, so as a hobbyist just keeping 10-15 of most common values. Usually, there are more used of certain cap values in many radios, like a 47uf for example. So I have 30 or more of them. They are cheap enough, so restoring radios for $5-10 worth of caps is cheap when restoring a +20 year old workhorse like a 148GTL or Grant . . .

Last edited:
the only ones I only keep 2 or 3 of is the large ones for the power supply area.the others I buy 50 to 100 at a time. they get very cheap at that amount at once. the ones I get are 105 degree ones instead of the factory 85 degree caps.

Yeah, I don't need near that amount. I've got two radio's to recap right now. I'm getting more and more into the old school radios though, and would like to keep a handful of this and that around.
I actually just ordered some transistor from thai shine.
thanks for the info(y)

Well, went to Rat shack today to get the 32 caps I needed for the 142. Most of the multiple numbered caps, like 47uf they didn't have near enough of and the big Power supply cap was the wrong configuration, wire out each end. Anybody want to sell me a kit?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.