• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Frequency Interference to Amateur Radio Bands

Al n3izr

Apr 28, 2013
Hello like to show this and please pass to your friends
Radio Frequency Interference Back Creek Valley WV.
This is a ongoing problem here .Potomac Edison Feels
they don't need to repair?{Cry_river}

alfred lafon - YouTube

Not sure why this needs to be passed on. Submit a complaint to the FCC. Edison has no choice but to fix it if they are causing it and the noise is interfering with a licensed radio service. E.g....Amateur radio.

It took one call to NIPSCO in Indiana and their noise guy was out within the week. They located and fixed the issue. Hard to believe there are still power companies in the dark about their responsibilities. Maybe they are betting you'll just go away?

Reactions: 5 people
Most importantly, document each and every contact that you make with the utility. Names, dates, times, etc.

Since your hearing it on 6 meters, it is relatively close. Try to see if you can locate the source yourself. The more you can help, the better. Are other hams nearby being affected? If so, have them call the utility as well.

Document, document and document. Also, be very polite. If they blow you off, call the RFI help desk at the ARRL, they'll help you out.

http://www.arrl.org/track-and-solve-electrical-interference

http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise-faq

BTW, that does sound like 60 cycle interference for sure. Do you have the noise constantly? Does it go away when it rains?

Take more videos and document time of day with weather conditions. Use a video hosting site and email video links to the utility.

I dealt with AEP for over 3 years. I had multiple sources from ageing infrastructure and an industrial complex nearby. They spent major $$$ fixing me up. AEP's RFI guy is a HAM and is now a damn good friend of mine.

Some utilities, can be obtuse and blow you off, just be persistent.

Most people automatically assume it's a bad transformer. They rarely cause RFI, since most will detonate if they have internal arcing. Most times, it's just loose hardware or corroded parts. Slack spans are a big culprit, loose ground staples, leaky insulator or loose wire ties.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Many companies try to pull fast ones in hopes you will just go away. This works for hem because most people DO just go away complaining. Don't give up.

Two years ago my local phone/internet company overcharged my credit card when I paid my bill. They wouldn't refund my money for a minimum of 3 months. It was hundreds of dollars. I spoke with supervisors, threatened to cancel my service (politely). I finally contacted the Federal Trade Commission. They ordered Fairpoint Communications to refund the overcharge. They still refused. Finally I went to the my bank and explained, showed the letter from the FTC, and the bank just pulled the entire transaction, so it was like the payment was never made. I then sent a check for the original bill, and canceled my service.

There is always a way. Sometimes it just takes patience.

RFI

Yes I have found more than one pole they are not going to fix any
poles out side of 2mi and this problem is just 1/8mi from me but
at this point no calls are getting retuned I also have
Public Service Commission Of West Virginia involved now.
They sent a letter to them today saying they made repairs?

Ah! Since your in WV, you have the upper hand. There was a WV ham that filed a complaint against his utility a number of years ago. Anyways, the commission sided with the HAM. As a result, the commission requires WV utilities to respond to an RFI complaint the same as they would as an outage complaint.

The RFI Investigator that worked for Allegheny Power is the same investigator that I mentioned earlier. He now works for AEP.

Obviously, your utility is unaware of the commissions case law. WV hams have it made. You will prevail.

Some good reading.

http://db.tt/yX1ACv17

Ah! Since your in WV, you have the upper hand. There was a WV ham that filed a complaint against his utility a number of years ago. Anyways, the commission sided with the HAM. As a result, the commission requires WV utilities to respond to an RFI complaint the same as they would as an outage complaint.

The RFI Investigator that worked for Allegheny Power is the same investigator that I mentioned earlier. He now works for AEP.

Obviously, your utility is unaware of the commissions case law. WV hams have it made. You will prevail.

Some good reading.

http://db.tt/yX1ACv17
Thanks for that info you gave link to I just did some checking
with a loop antenna here I found two poles singing and one is
on Potomac Edison repaired list. So they have not made full repairs
as they so listed to the commission Same on them. the other one is
3.8 mile away. If I turn the 6m beam you can hear them off the sides
but when pointed at one or other you hear one . I'll call the commission
Monday 29th give the info about that pole that was listed.

Thanks Al N3IZR

Try to video each pole, make sure to videotape or write down pole number/s that's causing noise. Don't video yourself kicking or hitting the pole to check for loose hardware, lol. That's vandalism in their eyes, then you'll be screwed.

The power company should be sending a dude to hook up an oscilloscope on your antenna/s to verify 60 cycle interference and take a recording. Once they do that, they can take it to the source and "match" the signature and confirm its the cause. Then, they should have an ultrasonic locater to pinpoint the source, or probe around with a hot stick or RF sniffer and see if noise goes away.

They should also have a stick with WD40 to spray in and around insulators to verify corrosion that causes leakage.

If your utility doesn't have this equipment, then they are wasting your time.

I use an Yaesu VX-2 on 440 MHz AM with an Arrow 7 element handheld beam. It works like a charm and is very directional and will null the signal with just a few degrees of center. The VX-2 also has a 20 db attenuator that helps getting close, especially your in an area with multiple noise sources, like I had. This arrangement requires that you be within 30-50 yards of the source, unless your sources is really screaming, then you'll pick it up farther away.

Last edited:
Try to video each pole, make sure to videotape or write down pole number/s that's causing noise. Don't video yourself kicking or hitting the pole to check for loose hardware, lol. That's vandalism in their eyes, then you'll be screwed.

The power company should be sending a dude to hook up an oscilloscope on your antenna/s to verify 60 cycle interference and take a recording. Once they do that, they can take it to the source and "match" the signature and confirm its the cause. Then, they should have an ultrasonic locater to pinpoint the source, or probe around with a hot stick or RF sniffer and see if noise goes away.

They should also have a stick with WD40 to spray in and around insulators to verify corrosion that causes leakage.

If your utility doesn't have this equipment, then they are wasting your time.

I use an Yaesu VX-2 on 440 MHz AM with an Arrow 7 element handheld beam. It works like a charm and is very directional and will null the signal with just a few degrees of center. The VX-2 also has a 20 db attenuator that helps getting close, especially your in an area with multiple noise sources, like I had. This arrangement requires that you be within 30-50 yards of the source, unless your sources is really screaming, then you'll pick it up farther away.

Thanks on info about using a 440 rig I have a little attenuator box but was using 2m . No need to wack the pole it starts like clock work at 12pm to 1pm.
Right now I know of 2 poles one was on the repair list but did not get repairs.
The other pole is outside a limit that Potomac Edison has set this is why I have Public Service Commission Of West Virginia working with me. AS of Friday they are not responding to any calls or e-mails from me they did
send Public Service Commission a letter saying they had made full repairs
to 4 poles ? Well I don't think so one pole I had on list is still singing at
noon ! The other pole is new.:oops:

Can you post a picture of the offending poles? I'd like to see the hardware on them.

Tell the commission, that standard protocol is for the utility to visit and obtain data at your shack.

Reactions: 1 person
RFI

Hello i'll get the photos soon and yes they have been here like 5 times
but last time Potomac Edison was here I was told they are done making
repairs? But I have (RFI) on the radio when I was told this he has not
come back nor has anyone worked on any more poles . Now no one at
Potomac Edison will retune any calls . Waiting for Public Service Commission
Of West Virginia to make next step in trying to get a fix. Today July 29
noise was real bad on all HF bands and 6m. From what I got someone higher
said to stop repairs after 4 poles? As of now I have one at 1/8 mi that was
not repaired! and the other is 3.8 mi and was outside a so called repair range
But I can Hear the RFI ? When this started I was told they will just repair poles
with in 2 1/2 mi of my home Public Service Commission says no to this repair any
poles that are making ( RFI ) Here is what Potomac Edison sent to Commission
http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/...NotType='servicelist'&CaseServiceListID=56333
I still content that all work has not been done to remove RFI problem.

Last edited:
Typical posturing.

Just stick with it and continue to document. Once you exhaust the commissions hoops, call the ARRL and initiate an official RFI complaint.

It won't happen overnight, but you will prevail.

It says that the matter will be forwarded to the Administrative Law Judges for a decision on or before Feb, 6, 2014. If anyone envolved in this matter wants an extension of that Feb,6,2014 date they have to ask for it. It also says that the Executive Secretary of the Commission has to notify those involved in the matter by electronic means or by US Mail, or by hand delivery.
Basically it's saying that there will be a decision on Feb. 6, 2014 (or however long it takes that commission to make a decision) unless someone thinks it'll be beneficial for it to take longer.
Hope you got a good lawyer and that he includes his fee in the judgement!
- 'Doc

ongoing rfi problem

Hello had Potomac Edison and Public Service Commission Of West Virginia
come out on Aug. 26 2023 . A pole was looked at and was to be fixed in
48 hr of visit well here it is Sept 1 and no repairs have been done!
I have sent e-mails this past week to Public Service Commission Of West Virginia and have had no contact yet?:confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.