• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio mounting options in my 86 chevy

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
I looking for mounting options to install my Styker 955 in my 86 Chevy pickup. Its a four on the floor 4wd K20 with a center console and bucket seats. In front or behind the shifter is out because granny and reverse have such a long throw. The ashtray and glovebox is in the way on the right and moving to the left will hinder gas pedal access. The radio and heat sink is too long to mount on top of the dash and besides I dont really want it catching that much sun. The stereo was relocated to the upper dash but the Stryker is too long to mount there. I had it wedged between the driver seat and console for awhile but it would fall when Id hit the brakes or drive on a dirt road, and when I leaned over to unlock the passenger side door or roll down the winndow Id pretty much sit on it. This interior was used from '73 to '91, right through the height of CB popularity so I figure there has got to be someone who has come up with a decent solution for this interior. Any help or ideas are appriciated. Thanks.

P.S. Im gonn try and post a pic of my interior but if I cant figure out how to do it with my iPhone then pics of would be on google.

I know this is a big radio, but depending on how far back you sit in the truck, you might consider going overhead. Lots of guys used to put custom overhead consoles in these trucks for their stereos.

RT307

way back when i had a 78 chevy that i ordered a overhead mount ,, it connected in the same holes that the sunvisors was in and wasnt way down low in the way,, the radio was mounted in the middle and the wiring was ran all inside of it down the passenger side windsheild post.. dont know if you can still get them or not,,,

Reactions: 1 person
I actually got kinda short legs so I end up sittin kinda forward. And Im not really into the overhead in this truck. Im kinda thinkin about looking into that Mirage MX 86 HP. Smaller radio, still has channels and SSB. Might fit in the dash (where the center AC vent would be). The stereo is in there now but it can be moved.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated