• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Parts

I can plug an external meter into the PA port on my 2950dx so I know it can be done. you just need to find someone who is capable and willing.

I have never seen an ext meter. Maybe I can get one and wire it direct to where my meter is because even when my meter worked it was too small.

analog meter to analog meter, it should be easy enough. I have no idea if you could go bigger without changing the readings or putting a strain on the circuitry. it is one of the bigger CB meters out there already.

Reactions: Pamm r
years ago a company ldg made a big s meter. in a cox it sat ontop of your cb. but i haven't seen one in years

I have never seen an ext meter. Maybe I can get one and wire it direct to where my meter is because even when my meter worked it was too small.
As long as the full-scale rating is the same as your factory meter (100 mA and so on)
You can use an external meter usually without problems, I have a Cobra 29 LTD with a much bigger Cobra 2000 *style box square meter resting on top of the radio, that radio stays on my bench and I liked the bigger (easier to read) meter so it sits like that.

The two wires are ran thorough one of holes used to mount the mic hanger clip, it's not pretty (I didn't drill any holes though) but it works and is a lot easier to read.

Another option would be to see if you can *delicately* remove the original meter and "get it unstuck" using vapor of denatured spirits, or a jewelers screwdriver and carefully loosening the two tiny screws under the tape (you cannot always access these screws on all meter types) just a tad, and lightly re-tightening them after the meter moves correctly again. The movement is extremely delicate, and is easy to destroy if you are not careful or with a steady hand.

You might find that after the original one is removed (I don't know for sure)
It may look like a Cobra 2000 meter, and perhaps you could get away with swapping the meter face "decal or placard" from the original one to the "modern" (readily available) meter.
*If after all, the Uniden external dimensions DO match a new style meter; swapping the face may the way to go if the original movement cannot be saved.

In this video Mike is using a solvent, for the inexperienced out there please be careful as some solvents will melt through certain plastics in no time, permanently disfiguring them.

I hope that helps
-Leap

Last edited:
Thanks, Do ypu think I could cut the plug off this meter and attach to my uniden pro 710e ?

SainSmart External S Meter/SWR/Power Meter For Yaesu FT857/FT897

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated