• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio performance

211 in tha mag

Apr 11, 2005
Well, im going o be honest with you! the grant is a nice rig, but you may want to think about getting another antenna!!! The francis is not a great antenna to say the least, try a wilson 1000, or 5000! Great antennas! Also, if you want, put some heat in line, but if you really want to help yourself, get a better quality antenna! I hope this helps you sme, you wont be sorry! (REMEMBER) you antenna is the key to talking)

cdx401sig.gif

</p>

I agree the Wilsons are nice antennas, but strongly disagree that a Francis is not. I've used Francis antennas off and on for 20yrs with no problems whatsoever. I seriously doubt the Francis has anything to do with your problem.

Wm. Warlock "71 and the long limousine in Va"

Rollingradios@aol.com

Nat. Rep for XForce/Magna Force Customer Service and Support

</p>

BTW, what exactly are you not satisfied with?

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

Let's fill in a few blanks like the vehicle and mounting location.

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

Is your static noise anytime day or night? Is it only when the engine is running or worse when at hwy speed?

Intl trucks are notorious for emitting hash from the injectors. It's nearly impossible to alleviate but it can be done ($). Try running the antenna on the passenger side mirror for about a week. See if your rx distance is better, I think it will be.

Rollingradios@aol.com

</p>

I just bought a used uniden grant xl.It was not working properly so i took it to the shop.He replaced the am regulator and made a few other modifications at my request.I am using 18 ft of coax and a new 4 ft francis ant.I am still am not satisfied with the performance.any suggestions would be appreciated.

</p>

I have to agree with RR on both counts. I ran the Fransis for many years with NO problem.

By mounting a single that is properly grounded, on the passenger side you utlize the engine mass and frame as a counterpoise. Yes, to the tree statement. Just @#%$ it forward just a tad and that will help that problem. I ran a fiberglass CH Mack with the antenna on the right mirror mount. I also ran a 10ga wire from the mirror mount bolt to the cab metal frame.

Hope this might help.

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.