• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Problem

Ike

Mar 25, 2009
I just installed a cobra 75 wx st in my car. The type where everything is in the mic.

I was checking my antenna connections and found continuity between hot and ground. I tore everything down and found it is in the radio. There is continuity between the center connector and the outer threads.

Depends on how you're measuring continuity.
could be shorted 0ohms, or you're just measuring the radio circuits.

Have you tried to turn it on? did a fuse blow?

I just put it the meter on the continuity test. Where if there is a connection the needle flips over to the other side.

I was told there should be no connection between hot and ground and the meter shouldn't move.

I went ahead and tuned it, got the SWR to 1:2 and it transmits pretty far. I can not receive very well though. Unless someone is right by me it isn't strong.

I went ahead and tuned it, got the SWR to 1:2 and it transmits pretty far. I can not receive very well though. Unless someone is right by me it isn't strong.
That's the biggest problem with that radio. I had one for a while in my Jeep. I couldn't hear anything unless the squelch was cracked wide open and the other station was right next to me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want a little radio the little Unidens or the Cobra 19 would work a lot better.

Yeah, I figured they would but this is able to be hidden easier. I don't really have a place where I can mount one tastefully and be able to read/operate it easily.

I would really like something like a Connex 3300, or even a Cobra 29. Not sure I really need the extra power. Would like to try it out though. lol I have friends about 30 miles away, it would be nice to talk to them.

I was looking at the Magnum Mini Mags. Do you guys know why they get a bad rap?

That's the biggest problem with that radio. I had one for a while in my Jeep. I couldn't hear anything unless the squelch was cracked wide open and the other station was right next to me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want a little radio the little Unidens or the Cobra 19 would work a lot better.

Yeah I would agree, you'd best off to buy a nice compact radio with some butt if you want something small and compact, cobra 19's or cobra 21's or even a good old cobra 77X would be the best investment, those cobra 75 are not much.

If you like the mini-magnum, the ones already suggested are about the same size. I haven't heard too many good things about the mini-magnums.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.