• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio restoration

radio doc

Doc of clean audio
Jun 8, 2014
Good evening to all,
Let me start by telling you that I have not touched any communications equipment sense 2005. Not
my choice trust me but diabetes took over my 20/20 vision; Having said that- here I am today..I am well and I just can't kick my CB tech needs! Yes indeed I used to work on them / mod / repair all of the older stuff. My current collection is 2 uniden Jackson's / 3 Grant's / 757gx2 / 1 trc-457 / 1 trc-458 / T/S 600v, and all of the fixings.

The radio offerings of today is disappointing to say the least! PLEASE don't get me wrong..If you like them and are pleased that is all fine; This is just my opinion.. I just don't care for a radio that appears to be missing 75% of it's parts what you open it ( SMD ) So let me get to the point...Why not restore the older radios? case in point- I have taken up a interest in high end audio equipment- I am restoring a Pioneer sx-1250-I bring that up because I belong to an audio tech site that helps people restore the equipment they have. I am lucky enough to have the knowledge to to this. Look folks I am not the grand tech of all techs by any means...But we now have audio grade caps that you can get as well as other parts. How about just cleaning controls and applying new heat sink compound. There are many over qualified techs out the if you don't feel comfortable. I just love my older stuff. Let me know what you think.
This sight ROCKS guys!!!! God Bless
Larry

Hi doc! My wife is type I so I'm too familiar with your situation. It's a shame that this well understood disease cannot be "cured".

That said, I recently procured (after a long time looking) a vintage Uniden Madison with the 858 PLL. It seems to work (haven't transmitted yet) but the audio is definitely low. I assume that the most likely cause is failing caps.

Everyone says to re-cap it and everyone says don't use cheap Chinese caps. Where do I get good caps for it, I want to replace the electrolytics and the tantalums.

Plenty of folks still restore CB radios. Tube, transistor and hybrids. Mobiles to boat anchors.

There are several weekly CB nets dedicated to the older classic 11 meter radios. Old Tube Radio net and Classic Radio Round Up are just two that come to mind. Seek and ye shall find.

Z2r9Lbr.jpg

Chinese are about the only ones making caps any more. at least that is the only ones I can find. since a lot of radios are being made in Vietnam now would not surprise me to see them building all the caps before long.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.