• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack HTX-10

Sorry if I am confused more now than when I posted this but I was searching the web and I found a list from the FCC of some radios that are not type accepted and it says radios like the 2950,2985,2990,2510,2970,galaxy 99 and so many more that are listed in these posts are not legal to sell or operate.

I have a friend who is a new ham and wants to be black and white on the legality of his radio not in the gray. I am just trying to help him. He seen one of these HTX10 radios new for 125.00 and wanted to be sure.

I told him to search the net also to be informed.

Thank you all for posting,
AP

Audiosockwave's example of getting a toaster (ha!) to work on 10 meters - and being legal - is correct, because hams have always been allowed to EXPERIMENT. One can make radios from scratch out of a box of parts and get on the air. Your device merely needs to meet spectral requirements and you're not allowed to exceed the maximum power level that your license class provides for, and you're okay.

So.... HAMS can legally use any radio on the market., even modified ones, even modified CB's.... ON A HAM BAND.

The Type Acceptance thing is for CB's.

This quote below

Sorry if I am confused more now than when I posted this but I was searching the web and I found a list from the FCC of some radios that are not type accepted and it says radios like the 2950,2985,2990,2510,2970,galaxy 99 and so many more that are listed in these posts are not legal to sell or operate.

Is the very reason I posted this:

The OP asked if it was a LEGAL 10m radio.Contrary to what has been circulated on the internet there are NO illegal 10m radios.

I knew someone would find it and bring it up.

Well you guys convinced me or should I say educated me. I know Ron (Sunwatcher) for years, he lives about an hour away and the post of him calling the FCC really helped me here. I thank you all for helping me to understand. I will tell my friend to just keep his 2950 and TX modulator and he is set for 10 meters.

Every one have a wonderful Labor day weekend and thanks again,
Roger/AP

TX modulator

TX modulator?
Is that one of the small 1 transistor Texas star Model Mod or V Mod?
If it is what I am thinking of, they are a small 1 transistor class C amp, I have tried using them on SSB, not a good idea.
They will "work" for AM/FM but the total lack of bias makes them not a good choice for SSB work.

Jeff

What Jeff said sbove is an understatement about the class C Modulators. Very dirty on SSB and certainly not legal due to harmonics and dirty bandwidth emmissions. The radio is fime however.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.