• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack HTX10 problems

kd0fx

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 16, 2009
EN10bt
So my HTX10 seems to have no sound. I mean, not anything, not even the button beeps.
Transmit seems to have good power on all modes as per external meter. Receive shows on the htx10 SMeter but no sound comes out.

The manuals trouble shooting section states that this could be because of a bad mic connection. Is that true? A bad wire in the mic can cut out all the sound like that? Even the button beeps? That sounds kinda bizarre but I wanted to check that out before I start looking at defective circuits. I'm guessing that's what pin 2 / receive control is for?

Multimeter shows a short between pins 2 & 5. The pin out shows that we short some wires for the up/down buttons on the mic, but 2 & 5 ain't them. The short stops when the PTT is pressed. Is that how it controls the ptt/receive? The receive control is grounded until the ptt is depressed? The schematic does show the 2 pins getting sent to the switch but it's such a bad scan I can't figure out what they are doing there, I just see them going to the same spot. And if that's so then I'm back to square one.

>HTX-10 Mic. Pinout

PIN# 1. Mic Audio

2. Recieve Control

3. PTT

4. Freq. Control (short to pin 6 , Freq. UP)

(short to pin 5 , Freq. DN)

5. Ground

6. 13.8VDC output

So my HTX10 seems to have no sound. I mean, not anything, not even the button beeps.
Transmit seems to have good power on all modes as per external meter. Receive shows on the htx10 SMeter but no sound comes out.
Have you tried plugging in an external speaker? Just in case there is a problem with the internal speaker.

Also the manual mentions that you can turn the audible tones off an on. So that might be worth checking.

The transceiver is preset to sound a tone each time you press a
key. To turn the transceiver's key tone on or off, turn on the trans-
ceiver while holding down the push-to-talk button on the mic

Good luck.

The transceiver is preset to sound a tone each time you press a
key. To turn the transceiver's key tone on or off, turn on the trans-
ceiver while holding down the push-to-talk button on the mic

I have tried this, but I haven't tried an external speaker. I'll give it a try.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.