• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack SWR Meter & Testing Analog Panel Meter

RFEverywhere

Feb 28, 2014
Los Angeles
Gentlemen,

I have 2 questions:

1. Does anybody know how to test unknown panel meter to determine what the rating or capacity of the meter is? To see whether it's a 200uA, 100uA, 1A, etc....

I remember back a while ago, I found a diagram on the Internet which was basically wiring up a 9 volt battery along with the pot and a digital multimeter connected with the panel meter. Then as you turn the pot and the multimeter changes (Voltage I think) readings whitch is matched by the reading of the panel meter. Unfortunately, I can not find that diagram and have forgotten how to wire it up.

2. Me being me, and trying to open every single thing that I buy to see how it operates and how it works, sometimes I am able to put them back together the way it was, and sometimes I just end up breaking it because I have no idea what I'm doing.

My 1st SWR/Power meter was a Radio Shack 21-534 SWR meter. Obviously I took the thing apart to see how it operates, and I learned a little bit from it. For some strange strange reason my brain told me to take the panel meter and take it apart and see how it works. After popping it open, loosing both of the microscopic positioning springs that hold the indicator up against natural forces, I learned that I made a mistake. So not wanting to mess with it anymore I put away until last week that I decided to dig it up and see if I can replace the panel meter since that's the only thing that was wrong with it.

Anyway, I have not been able to find out what rating meter they used for that SWR meter. I have tried a 100uA and its too small and a 1A and way too big. I almost wanted to use a resistor with the 100uA panel meter, but my readings will be off & I would not know what size resistor to use.

I have ordered a 250uA and 500uA meters but the good old government ran post office has lost them. I have tried to see if I can pull up schematics for that particular SWR meter, but there is not a schematic for that particular one. I have tried to match other schematics to it, but some components are always different in the meter compare to the schematics I been able to find online.

This SWR meter uses a very nice and large SWR bridge and not a microstrip.

Anyone have a clue what I can do to determine this information and get this thing back up and running?

By the way, I have purchased a ton of other meters within the past few years and have tried to use one of those panel meters but the readings on those is a bit different than the on used in the Radio Shack ones. Please see attached pictures. For example, the number 3 for the SWR reading is directly in the middle in all my other meters compared to the Radio Shack one which is a bit towards the right.

Anyway guys, thank you in advance for any help or info.

Attachments

• 2014-07-08 15.05.22.jpg
    2014-07-08 15.05.22.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshots_2014-07-08-14-55-59.png
    Screenshots_2014-07-08-14-55-59.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 355
  • Onwa_MK-2_CB_radio_with_SWR_meter.jpg
    Onwa_MK-2_CB_radio_with_SWR_meter.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 1,080

Thank you for the reply and the comment. I appreciate it. However, I highly doubt it. Because as I mentioned, I used a 100uA and it was too small. And a 1A is so large that the needle does not even move. I think it's somewhere around 200uA to 500uA. Or maybe even 150uA..... Unless I do use either a 50uA or 100uA and then use a resistor but would not know what the correct resistor value would be.

Thank you though and if you come up with any other info please post.

To check meter sensitivity fo0r full scale deflection you almost had it right. Wire a battery across the two outer leads of a pot. Wire the negative lead and the center lead to the meter you want to test in series with another meter. As you adjust the pot the meter will move to the right. When it is full scale read the CURRENT on the other meter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.