• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio swap high swr?

Actually, it sounds like the normal SWR fluctuation with a mobile antenna. A difference of 0.2 or 0.4 with SWR just doesn't amount to anything. As for the difference in readings between the built-in and external meter, don't pay any attention to one of them. Which one should you ignore? Since built-in meters tend not to be all that accurate, and can certainly be not very 'specific', that's the one I'd ignore.
Power has nothing to do with SWR. It can have a lot to do with the accuracy of any particular SWR meter's readings, which is also normal and why meters can be, or are required to be, re-calibrated with power changes.
I would be one of the first to suggest not using 'Rat Snack' coax but as long as the same jumper is used for all of the testing it remains a 'constant'. I would always 'change' any readings by the same amount. I really doubt if that's a problem.
And the biggy, if you ever see an ideal '1:1' SWR reading and it doesn't ever change, then you'd better patent that set up, it's a miracle. That ideal SWR reading is only possible when everything is perfect, and that's never going to happen (except in very miraculous circumstances).
- 'Doc

Then I would suggest you open a 'Dream Land', or 'Radio City'!
There are just so many reasons why that can't happen. But you enjoy it to your hearts content.
- 'Doc

ahh

ahh excellent....my anytone got hooked back up in the truck last night built in meter test channel 1 1.3 channel 19 1.1 channel 40 1.3 275550 1.7 lol i can get it better.Didnt check it with the pdc2 tho but im gonna today.Im wondering if different radios can play a role.

Can different radios play 'different rolls'? Not really. SWR is a measure of impedance matching only, that's all, can't do anything else. The built-in meters can certainly read differently between even the same brand/model of radios, so that part could make a difference. But the transmitters being different shouldn't make any difference. The only way they would is if the transmitter's output impedance isn't the same. The only way that typically happens is if there's meed some sort of modification to the transmitter. Other wise, they all are 50 - 52 ohms output impedance. Best bet is to use the same meter for all readings. That eliminates one variable.
- 'Doc

In other words, it changed according to what was 'near' the antenna (or what the antenna was near)??
- 'Doc

Yes like some open spaces give different readings.at a park today i was 1.3 to 1.4 channel 19 a 1.1 but in some places im a 1.0 on 19 1.1 channel 1 and 40.i gotta say i wouldnt want to run a amp with unsteady swr you could be near a pole key it hit a 2.5 and probably do damage.

What you are seeing is absolutely normal. It happens with any/all mobile antennas, and if something changes around a base antenna, it'd happen there too. Not much ever does change around a base antenna so when it does change, I'd start looking for the change. Small changes don't really amount to anything important. On the practical side, if the SWR is close to about a 1.5:1 you don't have anything to worry about
SWR deals with impedance and that is not a simple subject at all. Unfortunately, an SWR meter just isn't very 'smart', it can't distinguish between the different 'parts' that make up impedance (resistance, and reactances (there are two kinds!)).
I think you've got things about as 'good' or 'normal' as you can get it.
- 'Doc

I would find someone with an MFJ Antenna analyzer, set the antenna right one time and be done with it. As long as you don't move the antenna you can switch to any radio and not have to worry. This way you don't have to mess with the worthless meters in the radio's.

On a side note, I love reading a post like this where people say things like, "mine is a perfect flat match", or, "mine is a flat 1.0". That is quite impressive since this is only possible in a controlled lab setting. Just because your 25 dollar meter (with a 5-10% error built in) says 1.0 that does not mean it really is.

I would find someone with an MFJ Antenna analyzer, set the antenna right one time and be done with it. As long as you don't move the antenna you can switch to any radio and not have to worry. This way you don't have to mess with the worthless meters in the radio's.

On a side note, I love reading a post like this where people say things like, "mine is a perfect flat match", or, "mine is a flat 1.0". That is quite impressive since this is only possible in a controlled lab setting. Just because your 25 dollar meter (with a 5-10% error built in) says 1.0 that does not mean it really is.

That cheapie meter was just to ballpark it for the time being. My next act will be to hook up my MFJ-207 and fine tune the antenna for the frequencies I operate on. It within tolerances to run it temporarily.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.