• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Transport Case

Slowmover

BANNED
Feb 17, 2015
Where the West Begins.
Realized I’ve made reference to the HIGH practicality of a Radio Transport Case, but not as a thread topic.

This morning I’m moving radio-related gear in and out of the Peterbilt. (Changes to existing).

This comprises five (5) dedicated cases for which my cost was around $165 before tax. All are of the Harbor Freight Apache series in three (3) sizes.

The gear within (as these are dedicated carriers ) is in excess of $1,600.

Some are leaving the Pete, and some are entering for this outbound trip. There’s still a few hundred dollars more in coax, antennas, power cabling, a breeding colony of ferrites, and microphones.

Let’s run it up to the miscellaneous I can pack with what’s already in these cases and I’m touching on $2,000.

Rugged, water-resistant, dust & shock-proof dedicated transport cases

at roughly 10% of the replacement value of the gear.

I’m making the argument for ALL gear. The radio is obvious.

The large case below has no radio, just a pair of speakers and a microphone. Nothing fancy. But it’s still over $200. (The smaller case has the 885 Uniden, thus another $400). The big case (4800) is also going to be the new home of the little Uniden scanner I recently bought. That’s another $125).

$700 in gear, just these two cases.

Pick/Pluck foam interior can be re-furnished with new sheets to accommodate a new configuration. (Online retail supplier).

— Are you thinking of shipping valuable gear somewhere? The case can be shipped in an overpack with styrofoam peanuts.

— Wanted a Radio-To-Go Case, but hadn’t figured out yet how to build an EMCOMM box?

— Making a gift of “Radio” to someone less-than-enthused (but whom you desire they have gear ready-to-use), well, it’s more likely that radio gear will stay together in best shape than otherwise.

There are other case brands, more expensive and likely better built more suited to airline handling and the like.THIS something sure beats nothing till you get one of those.

What’s “nothing”? Original packing box. A cosmetics case. A backpack with a tee shirt for padding. Please don’t.

I move gear around on a regular basis. I’ve had radios suffer the worst temps and roads in North America running like champs for tens of thousands of miles . . till it was time to move them 30-feet.

I realize that for many Radio is mainly entertainment.
Licensure or not.

But what is a barber without his shears?

Soldier without rifle?

Mechanic without toolbox?

These are a ONE time insurance payment per item/items of radio gear.

The Workman is worthy of his tools.

It isn’t by chance you weren’t a stamp collector . . instead, you were equipped up to some level to handle both the practical and the theoretical of long-distance communication. Across town, or planet-wide.

“Keep her oiled and ready, boys” (those days are here).

3E6DCFE6-FC3D-41A7-9D54-DB5BE30AA6A7.jpeg

Last edited:

On an afternoon the winds are up and your house has caught fire . . . .
ONLY the gear ready-to-go is what you’ll be able to save.

In the Pete, these are the overbags can handle several transport cases plus miscellaneous. (I spread “Radio” among several).

Everything I own goes in & out via this route. I might rent a car to go home. Throw it on a bus. Once home, the radios go inside and the work gear goes in the pickup.

This is a Mil-Spec Flight Engineers Bag. An NSN-number since 1962. Thick nylon. Folds to nothing. I buy them a half-dozen at a time Mil-Surp.

710E9626-DEB9-47EA-B393-E27FFE2621A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Final: the 4800 case (shown above with the smaller 2800) is really the size needed to carry a complete mobile outfit sans mobile antenna.

1). Radio
2). External speaker
3). Radio mount
4). Antenna mount
5). Coax
6). Power cables
6). Grounds
7). Ferrites (and other)
8). 12V distribution
9). (2) microphones
10). Wire dipole
11). Balun
12). Spares kit

Step One: Everything that was included with the radio originally including any paperwork & receipts. Any notes which pertain thereon.

Step Two: I may use zippered sleeves or Zip-Locs for small items and to lend protection when case is open and gear strewn about.

And another thank you to RabbiPorkChop who pointed out these cases in another forum several years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keto
I’ve been on the current trip a little more than a week. The cases have all had gear removed and/or replaced as I was running two (2) radios and four (4) antennas.

Now down to a single radio. Put together a pair of RF Chokes for a friend from one of four (4) radio-only supply & tool bags.

Imagine sitting in the backseat of your pickemup and you gotta leave an hour ago. “Git er dun”, has meaning.

Organization means it’ll actually happen.

089367CB-B371-42F7-91A5-D2EFC3408534.jpeg

CD9A3F0C-CFA9-4919-9EF9-3B0D20EE63A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to update this.

— One of the advantages of pick/pluck foam is the ease of customization

— One of the disadvantages is that it’s not too structurally-sound once hollowed out.

Others may have a better solution, but I’m using quality (3M) Duct Tape to cover all surfaces and trim to fit with a little razor & scissor work. Both sides of the top, and the third surface the lower.

Obviously it’s not hard to change at some future date. Some overlap wouldn’t change being able to close it.

In use it means I can toss things out on the bunk, or back into the open case without worry over the foam dis-assembling.

Am at a point where a better radio for the 579 Pete is right. The antenna and power systems are as good as I can get them, and it’s “quiet”.

Took the suggestion of another to mind and realized part of my balk in spending was fear of damage. (Ha!). Assemble the pieces, but needed help with the conceptual connection (thanks jdchet).

I don’t have to have an inexpensive backup radio. It’ll be safe in a Radio Transport Case. (Ha! X2). Radio #1 and Radio #2 could be equally nice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.