1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Ramsey PR40 440Mhz Preamp kit

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by Moleculo, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TMI

TMI W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Negative. The passes I've been working lately have picked up So. Cal to Alaska. I need to work some lower angle passes to pick up more mid-west and east coast contacts. Farthest to date from western Washington has been Ohio for me.

I'd also like to get up on a hilltop and work a low pass to the west, and see if I can hear any Hawaii stations.

This is just a whole lot of fun with 5 watts :D

Tom / W3ROK

2. dudmuck

dudmuck Active Member

Tuning up this preamp could be easier if they included a variable capacitor for the RF input C2.
    But for a $15 kit, i doubt that would be practical.

i'm not sure if they use the 2SC2498 or the 2SC2570A, but the latter would be better due to lower noise.

The best of the best preamps use the Agilent ATF10136 gas-fet or similar.
    you could google for that and find all kinds of incredible LNA designs.

3. KB3TQO

KB3TQO Member

i also purchased this kit. so far the construction has been simple. i have found myself at a standstill with the connection between the board and the bnc connectors. the manual suggests using RG-174 but i dont have any nor do i plan on buying 1ft for 15 cents and spending $6.oo on shipping. i do however have plenty of RG-58 lying around. would this work for this kit? and if so, do i only use the center conductor for both connections on each connector or do i use the shield as well?
    im such a newb but trying to learn,
    thanks,
    kb3tqo
    73s

4. Qwazyone

Qwazyone Active Member

If you look at Moleculos pictures on page 1 of the thread, in the pic below "everything installed in box and ready to go" shows where the shielding gets connected to the board(just solder the shielding where the green wires for his BNC connectors are)

5. n3ibx

n3ibx Member

Hello, I saw the Ramsey kits too, and am very interested in them. Please let us know how well yours performs once you have it hooked up and can make some tests with it.

I'm very impressed with the low noise figure they give in it's specs. I'd rather have a preamp that has a little less gain and less noise than something that has a lot of gain with corresponding noise that comes in with it.

Regards,
    Joe Cro N3IBX

6. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator
    Staff Member

It does work well for my intended use. I strap it on the handheld yagi and use it for satellite work. It really helps on the low elevation passes and you also start picking up the bird closer to the horizon. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but every little bit helps when you're doing this with a handheld.