• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Randy Kokes #1 CB Tech In The Country

Interesting picture....

2013033113296870481Test Benchb.JPG

The only test gear there that I would rate as useful to me would be the big old HP8657? sig gen, the DVM and what looks like a decent dummy load.
(all circled and total value would be about £800 used)

I already have several sig gens and DVMs but I guess you can never have too many sig gens etc :)

The little Racal frequency counter is also circled as a nice bit of kit but I'm OK for counters.

The rest of it looks like antiquated stuff of interest only to nostalgic collectors/users.

Sure there are some nice Tek 76xx mainframes with various plug ins and an old HP182 c/w spectrum analyser plug in but this stuff isn't worth the bench space to most RF engineers in 2013.

So if you subtract the nostalgia/collector value of the various old HP and Tektronix stuff and look at that bench through the eyes of an RF engineer in 2013 there is probably only about £2k of useful RF test gear there that is worth purchasing. (i.e. the stuff I listed above plus maybe the HP182 as a very basic spectrum analyser and the Tek scope)

When I used to repair CBs as a student in the 1980s I used an ancient old Tek 585A scope, a Marconi TF2430 counter and a Marconi TF2015 signal generator. I also had a homemade two tone generator plus a homemade RF probe and various DVMs and AVO type meters and a basic CB power meter and dummy load. It was enough to do the job and I think it would still do the job today. I bought it all on student income and it paid for itself several times over in repair/servicing income.

That was all you needed TBH. Although some techs insisted on a deviation meter for FM I always found the best judge of FM deviation setting was the customer ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Somehow I have went years not hearing about this guy odd.
I think those that have been around the hobby know many more well known guys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.