• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Range of an Antron-A99 antenna

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
If the Antron-99 is 18 ft. tall and it claims 15-25 miles on a clear day WITH clear line of sight...
Does this average out to about
1 mile of range Per foot of antenna on average?

So I guess If my antenna is 18 ft. tall and
the truck i'm talking to has 4 foot antennas
this would be about a 22 mile range on a clear day right?
Provided you have clear line of sight is perfect conditons

Antron 99 Base Station Antenna | Right Channel Radios

May be if the A99 is 30 feet up....

The most I have gotten with my a99 on a 20' of a flag pole talking to ppl line of site is 20 miles.. I did here some one 32 miles away on side band. I think they had a cobra 142 they where 40' up don't know what antenna. It was 12am and ground waves where good with less then 1 s unit of stidic.. next time I here him ill have to give a shout out...

But there is no rules to how fare you can get with what. You can move 1 foot over and not lose some one.. or make a turn in your truck and luse 4 s units.

Ps the A99 I have sucks and I can't get my SWR down when I turn up the power... I wish I had gotten some thing different.

Yeah, that's poor range, My A-99 gets about 122 and beyond miles per foot barefoot, talked to 3 up in New York and one in Canada today barefoot about 15watts if that on sideband that's over 1600 miles to NY and over 2200 miles to Alberta Canada and my antenna is only at rooftop eve level.

LOL
73's

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Attributing 'range' to an antenna, any antenna is just not feasible. 'Range' is dependent on propagation, not the length of an antenna.
27 Mhz is in the HF band, it is not 'line of sight' at all. Signals/energy at HF 'bends', can be reflected by the ionosphere, it 'skips'. 'Line of sight' means that there is very little to no 'skipping' ability, which is not a characteristic of HF. Frequencies generally higher than 50 Mhz begin to become 'line of sight' and are really line of sight in the VHF/UHF ranges.
Attributing 'range' to an antenna at HF is really a silly concept.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
It will all depend on what gear the truck is in and the time of day your are talking to them. If the sun is at it's peak and the wind is less then 16kts from the south east then your range will depends on the coax velocity and the amount of wire raps you have used.

If the Antron-99 is 18 ft. tall and it claims 15-25 miles on a clear day WITH clear line of sight...

So I guess If my antenna is 18 ft. tall and
the truck i'm talking to has 4 foot antennas
this would be about a 22 mile range on a clear day right?
Provided you have clear line of sight is perfect conditons

Antron 99 Base Station Antenna | Right Channel Radios

There are a lot of factors that will determine "range" of an Antron or any antenna for that matter. A "clear day" has nothing to do with it.....I've talked just as far on a cloudy rainy day as I did on a sunny clear day. Height is might...the taller the better. Your geography and height above sea level..etc Like doc said line of sight doesn't apply to cb. Line of sight becomes more of an issue the higher in frequency you go...like around 400 MHz not 27 mhz

My dipole is about 10ft off the ground, tied to the side of my house. I got out to Italy and other European countries, which according to the map is about 13,000mi away... Now how the heck did that happen!? :love:

Doesn't work like that. If it did then a quarterwave VHF antenna wouldn't make it as far as the edge of the building it was mounted to yet they work far further on 10W than a CB antenna will.

On HF you have groundwave signals, skywave signals and skip zone.

Groundwave is how far your signal travels along the ground and varies by band for a given power output.

Skywave is your signal that bounces off the ionosphere and where it goes is depicted by ionospheric conditions.

The Skip Zone is the area inbetween the groundwave and the skywave where no contacts are possible.

30 miles clear line of sight is certainly possible with an Antron and I've done that mobile to mobile with a friend with just 4 watts. Mobile to base completely clear line of sight I've worked 60 miles. On the other hand I can't talk to a friend 12 miles away. Skywave I've talked from the UK to Argentina, 7500+ miles.

Unfortunately it isn't easy to give a definite answer as there are a lot of variables.

Reactions: Limeybastard
Yeah, that's poor range, My A-99 gets about 122 and beyond miles per foot barefoot, talked to 3 up in New York and one in Canada today barefoot about 15watts if that on sideband that's over 1600 miles to NY and over 2200 miles to Alberta Canada and my antenna is only at rooftop eve level.

LOL
73's

That'll have been by skywave and not groundwave. Not the same.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.