• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 69 Base Noise changing channels on 11 meters

Rhinoky

Jan 31, 2021
Hello Folks,

I have two of these radios and the newest I ordered off of Ebay. The radio developed an issue while changing channels and it sounds like an oscillation problem. sometimes it does it only after warming up, sometimes as soon as I turn it on. I noticed the frequency counter will count up to the frequency instead of just swithcing from 27.125 to 27.135 per'se. Like when switching channels it will go 27.129, 27.133, 27.134 and then 27.135. It does that when it's having the issue. It make a burrrrrrrrrrrip sound. And even sometimes the noise will just stay in there.
Sometimes it just goes away and comes back three weeks later, and it's actually been fine for about a month, but now it's got to where I can expect it every time I turn the radio on. Once I touching cans with a tuning screwdriver( slightly tapping to see if I could get a rise) and the variable inductor I touched set the noice off so I made note of there the pot was sitting and I turn it slightly and the noise went away, but later I found out it knocked the channels off on the 28,XXX.X bands at the top. I left it that way for about 3 months or so and didn't have anymore issues until now. The noise is back, so I adjusted the 28 bands back to where they are supposed to match my frequency counter on my Oscilloscope. The location of the can L14 is close to the IC Chip in front left corner near the wall and PS. Schematics would be nice but I can't find diddly, so I'm asking here... anyone had or seen this issue and know where to point me as far as componets to check. I do have a spare board for parts.

Thanks,
73's

I fixed it, it was that Variable inductor. I took the one out of my other 69 just to try it and it instantly tuned in and hadn't acted up since. As far as leaving it and let it warm up, I tried that and it actually got worse. Now, when you change channels they pop right in and no counting up to the freq. It's going on four days now and not a blip.
Thanks for the response, I'm all good now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.