• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger 99 n1 (the rt5 mystery)

and no amp board. N1 apparently means nothing because the Conex 4600 n1 has the big 98vhp amp and this n1 only has hot finals. I like how it has the fm circuitry on the board it just needs a switch

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
So did we come to any conclusion as to what the red switch does? Carrier power? Just like the power knob......... Maybe it's for the amp section that is not there? I can see people buying this and swearing up and down that the red switch does something awesome. It's a dual final radio, so where does the 100w come from? Maybe it is awesome, and I just don't know it......

Last edited:
from the video it seems like a high/ low range to work in adition to the variable power knob, It would be usefull if someone came up with a course clarifier mod. The final section looks the same as the other rt1 radios, two rt1 mosfet drivers running on regulated power driving two rt5 mosfets running at line voltage. basicly the same as the 69vhp , 69 base, longhorn and x9 although all of those use rt1s that give about 80 watts out instead of the 125 of the rt5s

The red switch basically does nothing, mine is used for a hi cut filter.The rf power knob does everything you need as far as dead key the red switch was pointless. I bought one of these about 6 months ago and it’s been in a 2020 Peterbilt we don’t put 10,000 miles a year on and probably has less than 30 minutes total talking time on it and it already shot craps. Keys up the am carrier but won’t talk, nothing comes through the talk back or with a pa speaker hooked up, receives fine still. I had a 5ft skip shooter on it and my external meter checked it at about a 1.2 swr so the antenna wasn’t the cause of whatever happened. I tried the mic out of my pickup on it and still the same issue. The whole time I’ve had it the frequency counter may or may not light up. I’ve got 3 99N4s 2 of which the on off switch takes about 20 tries before they turn on and a 99N2 that’s been fine so far but I had to wait forever to get because the first one the shop got in for me had a short in the frequency counter and the one 99N1 so out of the 6 99N series that were all bought new only 2 are without issues.So far at least, none of them are a year old yet. I don’t know if I’d recommend people buying them. They do sound good when they’re working though. I took the N1 out and put a Cobra 29 back in the Peterbilt today.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have seen the switch issue on several connex and ranger radios including my 69vhp. Probably bad parts from the lockdown days.

I have seen the switch issue on several connex and ranger radios including my 69vhp. Probably bad parts from the lockdown days.
Yea it’s a pain in the butt. I’ve got the N2 in my house and always just turn off the power supply and don’t use the power knob on the radio so it should never have an issue. I’ve heard of people rigging up a toggle switch for power and still bae the original switch for just the volume. Idk but as of 30 minutes ago I’ve got an N4 and an N1 maybe 6 months old in their boxes on a closet shelf and can’t use them. The one N4 doesn’t do it every time I turn it on and when it does usually comes on after a couple tries but the one in the closet last time I turned it on probably took 50 tries I thought it was never turning on again so I left it on and put it up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.