• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger built cobra 148F GTL

ok, the PLL is out of lock and thats why you cant transmit. it actually makes more sense that you cant TX, because if you could, it would mean that the VCO and pll are locking.

only L13 should be adjusted using a DC voltmeter on TP9.
L18 is a different beast and you need to use an Rf voltmeter or an o-scope to peak it.

after you peak it, you need to give it a tiny crank off the peak so that it wont double peak.

try this, key the mic and slowly turn L18 to see if the red light will pop on.
mark its original spot so you can put it back there.
you shouldnt have to make a full turn in either direction if this is going to work.

if that doesnt work, put L18 back where it was, and try the same thing with L13.
if it doesnt work, re-set L13 to the proper voltage.

im thinking that the radio is just out of lock, and if there was channels in it, and you removed them, i would check over your work.
LC

OK I tries what you said here already with turning with L13 and 18. as for putting mod back to stock I just unsoldered the wires for pins 10 11 12 14. and jumpered pins 14 where cut and jumped 10 where cut, rechecked solder many times, guess old wasington is too OLD for me..

well skybolt, i do understand if you are just done with it. there is probably something wrong with the VCO or lock detector circuit, so write that down and what you've already tried, and stick the note inside the radio before you give it back to him.
that way if you ever do send it somewhere to get it fixed, the tech will have a headstart.

if that washington is clean, you could probably still get enough for it on ebay to get him another old base station.
whatever you do, dont let him junk it!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.