• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RG99 and President Jackson

AFAIK no clones of the jackson were made. It's probably a clone of a president grant, like every other 10 meter export.

I never had a jackson but I do have an export grant. The export jacksons had fm and 5 or 6 bands , im not sure and the export grant had 3 and fm. There are a lot of posts on the net that say the jackson needs to have the rf gain turned back on ssb but apart from that there's nothing wrong with them, just a different design. The jackson had the same final as the lincoln whereas the grant were dual final.

The RG-99 may look like a Jackson on the outside but when you pop the hood you'll find the Ranger ept 6900 board.

AFAIK no clones of the jackson were made. It's probably a clone of a president grant, like every other 10 meter export.

IIRC there were some bootleg Jacksons floating around in the mid 80's.

I never had a jackson but I do have an export grant. The export jacksons had fm and 5 or 6 bands , im not sure and the export grant had 3 and fm. There are a lot of posts on the net that say the jackson needs to have the rf gain turned back on ssb but apart from that there's nothing wrong with them, just a different design. The jackson had the same final as the lincoln whereas the grant were dual final.

Later production runs of the Jacko came with 6 bands from the factory, a mod that many had done on their own to their 5 band Jacksons.

All the exports put out about 25wssb and 8watt am/fm. that's the most you should run them at to avoid damage to the board. Some have bigger finals than others but the boards are the same.

My Jackson had a burnt ant wire and the narrow part of the trace is exposed from getting too hot. Not sure what final it has but it has variable power added.

and what set apart the jackson and grant?

better-dual conversion-receiver in the grant. & though the jackson had 1 final that you could coax upwards of 50 watts out of, the dual final grant & its 25 watts was....hi level mod vs low level in the jackson. if i remember correctly. truth be told, while the jackson had more features/channels, the grant was the radio to go with. hence the reason most other exports are based on the grant/grants roots.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.