• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger Superstar SS-JA

Ashtonford

Aug 4, 2006
question was thinking about getting a Ranger Superstar SS-JA from coppers and adding a 200 watt amp has any one here owned this radio ? is it any good?

I have ran a jackson for years and bought a ss ja when they came out and the same basic radio. it sucks on AM unless you do the controlled carrier mod to it so the audio is up nice and clear. I would not take for either of mine. you better know how to work on the radio if you get it so you can get its full potintial of the radio. most of them out of the box do 3 or 4 dead key and swing to about 6 or 7 on AM and 10 to 12 on SSB.
after a proper peak and tune and the controlled carrier mod mine do 3 dead key and swing to 20 on AM and ssb does 25 to 30.

I have ran a jackson for years and bought a ss ja when they came out and the same basic radio. it sucks on AM unless you do the controlled carrier mod to it so the audio is up nice and clear. I would not take for either of mine. you better know how to work on the radio if you get it so you can get its full potintial of the radio. most of them out of the box do 3 or 4 dead key and swing to about 6 or 7 on AM and 10 to 12 on SSB.
after a proper peak and tune and the controlled carrier mod mine do 3 dead key and swing to 20 on AM and ssb does 25 to 30.

Have a link for that by chance?
THNX

Have a link for that by chance?
THNX

I posted it on the site here when every one was talking about this radio. there is 2 versions. one is just to lift one leg of a resister and install a jumper. the other you have to pull a transister and install a octocoupler in its place and run a couple jumpers and you loose the modulation function using the octocoupler. I will see if it is in one of the old postings or if I can find it. no link to it just some thing I have done.

I posted it on the site here when every one was talking about this radio. there is 2 versions. one is just to lift one leg of a resister and install a jumper. the other you have to pull a transister and install a octocoupler in its place and run a couple jumpers and you loose the modulation function using the octocoupler. I will see if it is in one of the old postings or if I can find it. no link to it just some thing I have done.

Really appreciate that.

here is the easiest controlled carrier mod to do to the Jackson or the SS JA radio. plus a audio enhancement.

solder a wire on the rear leg of tr36 the base of it. (rear of the radio side) and run it over to d55 just towards the front of the radio about 1 inch from tr36. solder the wire to the banded end of D55 ( cathode end). then lift R179 out of the circuit which is tied to D55. the JA radio has a disk cap across the legs of TR36 just remove it.

audio inhancement
change R258 to a 1.5K
change R261 to a 3.9K or a 4.7K ,I use a 4.7K

now just check and you will see a improvement of the radios output. peak it and it will come up even more.

Reactions: 1 person
JA.....hmmmm. very appropriate name for a radio that, whoever thinks they are actually good radios, is a j***a**.
but then again, too many people believe what their friend on 38 LSB says ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.