• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rare Old Tube Type 11M Transceivers

KF6IRK

Kapt. Irk
Mar 2, 2013
So Cal
This is being posted for those who were listening to to old CB radio talk on the repeater Monday Morning ... here's some info and pix on some of the radios that were discussed

The rare General SB-72 AM/SSB 11M Transceiver

general_sb72.jpg

Make General Radiotelephone
Model SB-72
Year ~1963

"The General Radiotelephone model SB-72 is a 13 tube AM/single sideband transceiver. General was way ahead of their time when they built this radio. This radio was one of the first SSB 11 meter radios in America. It has 24 channels with USB, LSB, and AM. The receiver is Dual conversion. It also has the great COLLINS mechanical filter! They only use one crystal for transmit and receive. Super nice radio!"

You Tube video

... and the equally rare Metrotek (wooden) Space Station (23 channel AM only)

Metrotek-Space-Station.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Well, here's an interesting (nostalgic) find on ebay.

One of my neighbors gave me one of these back in 1962 (I was in the 2nd grade) what - 51 years ago? :eek:

I didn't remember the brand name (Rytel Mini-Caller), but I definitely remember what it looked like. It more than likely got tossed after upgrading to more powerful walkie talkies.

In any event, I ran across these while searching 'vintage walkie talkies' category:

Mini-Caller.JPG

The one I had was beige (not pink) :laugh:

This is actually what started my interest in radio communications.

There is a group in Fresno CA that is called the "Old Tube Radio Network".
If the band is open or you live near Fresno you can hear them every Saturday Night starting at 8PM on 27.085 AM mode.
They start with a Roll call of SWL ( Shortwave Listeners ) followed by check-ins of many old tube radios.

OTR Network FAQ | The Old Tube Radio Archives

OTR Net | The Old Tube Radio Archives
You can also listen LIVE on the internet to the Old Tube Radio Network on Saturday Night at Old Tube Radio - 27.085MHz - CB Channel 11 - Saturdays 8:00PM - 10:00PM PST.

YouTube

OLD TUBE RADIO NETWORK LIVE 11.10.2012 - YouTube

On FaceBook

http://www.facebook.com/oldtuberadio

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.