• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rci-2950dx-3

Got one and they are good performers but on am it gets hotter than a field mouse in a cheese orgy.ssb it performs well doesnt heat up much.I runit with a astatic desk mic one of those new ones with the ceramic.

Reactions: 1 person
Got one and they are good performers but on am it gets hotter than a field mouse in a cheese orgy.ssb it performs well doesnt heat up much.I runit with a astatic desk mic one of those new ones with the ceramic.

you say it get hot on am but not ssb?

if so who did your tune? how did they tune it? i understand you may not know how it was done, but you never know unless you ask.

is there a fan that comes on once it gets hot enough?

Bells cb did my tune he has vids of all the radios he tunes on youtube.He uses a bird and a scope.There is no fan on the 2950 just a heat sink.The back of the radio gets hotter than the sink.Thats mainly if i key up alot tho and talk alot.Sometimes i explain things with to much detail.Works great tho good reports.My power supply gets warm to its a 14amp surge 12 constant....No fan on the pyramid supply but never get a warning light.

Reactions: 1 person
I got a new one,

use it on 10/12 am/ssb and fm...no mods done...used it during the contest this weekend...made alot of contacts,and ran it 5 wtts ssb and had a blast...73 de n0zna late note had it about 5 mo now and run it mble in my truck on 28420usb and run a old D and A bandit2 at 280 wts with 17 into it on ssb...old tube type anp...real radios and amps glow in the dark,hehe 73 de n0zna

hmm

Im not getting full swing on ssb like i was prior.The digital meter barely touches the top.It goes about 5 6 bars up at peak.My power mic battery is new mic gains all the way up and power all the way up.Maybe my power supply is crapping.Its a new supply but it gets hot as a bitch.I been running the radio low power about a quarter the way up all day.The radio dont get hot when i run it low.I built a custom fan from a old xbox360 fan adapter 3 fans in a case which i run to the power supply kept the radio ice cold at max power but it looks ugly.I remember i had a old magnum s-3 thing never ran as hot as this one gets and that was a 50watt pusher.My old 257 never got this hot.I think power wise where im at now at 25% is about 20 to 30 peak so its sufficient.I just dont think these thing were meant to be pushed hard.Kinda wish i never peaked it.

Im not getting full swing on ssb like i was prior.The digital meter barely touches the top.It goes about 5 6 bars up at peak.My power mic battery is new mic gains all the way up and power all the way up.Maybe my power supply is crapping.Its a new supply but it gets hot as a bitch.I been running the radio low power about a quarter the way up all day.The radio dont get hot when i run it low.I built a custom fan from a old xbox360 fan adapter 3 fans in a case which i run to the power supply kept the radio ice cold at max power but it looks ugly.I remember i had a old magnum s-3 thing never ran as hot as this one gets and that was a 50watt pusher.My old 257 never got this hot.I think power wise where im at now at 25% is about 20 to 30 peak so its sufficient.I just dont think these thing were meant to be pushed hard.Kinda wish i never peaked it.

Sometimes the manufacturer actually knows a bit more about their products than Billy Bob's CB Hackshop and Bait Store. :whistle: Rarely does anyone have such issues including TVI etc when they leave the radio alone.

BTW what is the current rating on your power supply? That could very well be the issue.

Reactions: 2 people
figured it out

The current rating is 12 amp constant 14 amp surge but i find my problem as far as full swing on the meter above channel 10 on ssb.I have a lg cell phone charge that when i plug it in i get massive static and it makes my meter quirky.Sounds weird but i traced it.As far as ti getting hot full power on am yeah it still does that but on ssb it never gets hot mainly do to short communications.I emailed the guy i bought it from he said one of the finals might be bad.Bu that was befor i knew about the cell charger.

if the frame of that radio is getting hotter than the heat sink, that is a good indication that something was done to the radio for the am side, and or to high a power level. that is the voltage regulator that is heating up. sounds like that radio was modded on the am side......like some sort of swing mod...etc.

The guy i bought it from has been in business since 1968 he has videos all over youtube of what he does to the radios.Every radio he ships he puts a vid up of the work.He sets the dead key to as low as he can get it and then gets em to usually go 40 watts or a little more.The meter i have paradynamics pdc small one i dont think measures any swing when i do a power test with that it shows just a max power output 40 on the lower channels "1 thru 19" about 48 on the upper channels "18 thru 40" am.On a standard 2950dx if i was to key up no talk how many bars would light on that meter full power?8 out of 10 light up just keying up and it swings up the last two with audio.

output

with the power at about 9 oclock quarter way up on am i get out fine.Was on 19 with clutter and talked to a friend 18 miles away and i was pinning his needle and my radio stayed cool.Last night was talking 35 miles but i think i had the power all the way up.Not bad tho for my antenna being 30 feet off the ground and being surrounded by hills.

Bells cb did my tune he has vids of all the radios he tunes on youtube.He uses a bird and a scope.There is no fan on the 2950 just a heat sink.The back of the radio gets hotter than the sink.Thats mainly if i key up alot tho and talk alot.Sometimes i explain things with to much detail.Works great tho good reports.My power supply gets warm to its a 14amp surge 12 constant....No fan on the pyramid supply but never get a warning light.
Is there a voltage control on your power supply? If so; then turn the voltage control down to about 13v's. This should give you a couple more amps headroom from your power supply. So long as you don't over-drive the radio output, the power supply should be a bit cooler.

The current rating is 12 amp constant 14 amp surge but i find my problem as far as full swing on the meter above channel 10 on ssb.I have a lg cell phone charge that when i plug it in i get massive static and it makes my meter quirky.Sounds weird but i traced it.As far as ti getting hot full power on am yeah it still does that but on ssb it never gets hot mainly do to short communications.I emailed the guy i bought it from he said one of the finals might be bad.Bu that was befor i knew about the cell charger.

12 amps should power that radio fine without any issue. Normally they only have a 7 amp fuse inline. Even with a peak and tweak 12 amps should be more than fine. Sounds like there may be an issue with the radio itself.

The guy i bought it from has been in business since 1968 he has videos all over youtube of what he does to the radios.Every radio he ships he puts a vid up of the work.He sets the dead key to as low as he can get it and then gets em to usually go 40 watts or a little more.The meter i have paradynamics pdc small one i dont think measures any swing when i do a power test with that it shows just a max power output 40 on the lower channels "1 thru 19" about 48 on the upper channels "18 thru 40" am.On a standard 2950dx if i was to key up no talk how many bars would light on that meter full power?8 out of 10 light up just keying up and it swings up the last two with audio.

well that's all well and good, but a 40 watt swing from a 2950dx:unsure:. that's no good for that radio weather it has bipolar or mosfet finals. thats almost twice the rated output for that radio.well no wonder why the voltage regulator is heating up like that.

i agree with the last post. why drive the snot out of the radio? want more power? get an external amplifier.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio