• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

rci 2950DX..is this normal..?????

frogger

Oct 6, 2005
ENGLAND....yorkshire
could anyone tell me if this is normal for the 2950DX...to sound very raspy and sounds off freq...when i first turn it on.....ON FM....even when i use the Clarifier...still sounds off.. ..but after about 10mins it sounds right.... is this normal???.....or is there a fix ????any help please...thanksssssssssss

Some are more touchy than others as far as locking on frequency and take atleast 15 minutes to warm up and stablize but that is not a raspy sound just high or low a tad bit on frequency sounds almost like an audio chip problem. Freecell is also good with these radios at fire communications.

frogger said:
it only does it on recieve....on transmit...seems ok....i wonder if i did the clarifier mod..would solve...it... :?:

I would wait on the clarifier mod, in my opinion you do not need to do a clarifier mod on a 2950DX.

The 6th digit on the radio can be moved up or down and should take care of any off freq rx and tx especially if you use the split option, of course, this is my opinion only.

Also it would most likely cost you more to ship the radio to the states and have it repaired and returned to you in the UK than a new radio LOL

oohhh my i didnt notice where you were I agree with hamer and also agree on the clarifier not needing to be cut. with the ability to move this curser on that radio you can track frequency with that option. I have seen these radios drift a bit on frequency after clarifier mods are done. Some worse than others so its up to you in that gamble.

ok I just read that post again. Ok is this on fm that its raspy?? If so Ive seen this to often with this chassis radio and simular. For some reason RCI has a hard time tracking this FM deviation. it can be fixed I can explain how if this is indeed the problem and its the FM. With the speaker side cover off (component side of the board) with the radio face towards you halfways back to the right side you will see a red colored can thats your FM deviation first check to see with a frequency counter that fm is on frequency. Another way to do this is to use another radio that has FM that you can speak into and transmit an FM signal while SLOWLY tunning in your FM can (red can) on the radio thats receiving raspy or maybe a telephone and a friend close by on a radio on that channel using FM will work. This is one of RCI's biggest problems sending these out completely out of whack on the FM side good luck

absolutely spot on m8 ...sorted...all is well now....it was the yellow pot....but still the same ...tuned it as you said ...when cold i run it for about 20 mins and it still stayed the same..perfect....clear as a bell....cheers ...m8ty ...and to everyone for the quick respond....thankssss

ooops on the yellow / RED lol anyways there ya have it as I said thats a problem with RCI radios I dont know what the problem is over there why they cant just do it right before shipping it after all I explained here how to do it so why cant they DO IT THERE??? Anyways thats super that you got it taken care of and my oh my you wasted no time!!! Now enjoy some FM my friend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.