• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2950DX... Slight Carrier Problem on SSB ,,,,,

High Miler said:
I moved to a new location which is within' a couple miles of a local I talk too...

He said that I was giving him 3 S-Units with no Transmission... Just being keyed up which I am surprised he caught.

I than kicked on a radio above the one I was using and sure enough, On key-up, no modulation I was registering S-7 on my monitoring radio with no antenna hooked up.

I would think that if you were S-3 a couple miles away then you would have been stronger than an S-7 on a radio right above the transmitter even without an antenna attached.It would be interesting to know what the carrier suppresion level is speced at in that rig.If it not detectable with anything less than a 20/9 signal it can't be too serious.

QRN said:
High Miler said:
I moved to a new location which is within' a couple miles of a local I talk too...

He said that I was giving him 3 S-Units with no Transmission... Just being keyed up which I am surprised he caught.

I than kicked on a radio above the one I was using and sure enough, On key-up, no modulation I was registering S-7 on my monitoring radio with no antenna hooked up.

I would think that if you were S-3 a couple miles away then you would have been stronger than an S-7 on a radio right above the transmitter even without an antenna attached.

Not neccesarily, Not all S-Meters are created equal and the one on my RCI Ranger 6300 is very, very tight.... It was used as a reference point and worked well for what I intended it for...

Anyway I agree it is not serious enough and will run it for now.

I suppose but I just remember the many (too many) times I had a receiver on but without an antenna connected and keyed up a transmitter. :shock: :shock: Boy was I reminded in a hurry. It was a LOT more than S-7. LOL My favourite is when I answer a call on the repeater and forget about the scanner running.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.