• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rci-2950dx

triple nickel

Dec 5, 2009
Christian County Mo.
I know there is a thread on this, But i can't seem to find it. I even looked in the Radio mods Section. The question is : What parts would i need to improve the receive and to take out some of the white noise on a Rci-2950dx I think I remember one part would be the Schottky ??? 2SC2999 ??
Any help woud be much appreciated. Thanks.

73's n have a great day

Leonard

dont waste your time with that radio. the 2sc2999 and Schottky diode swap works great on pll controlled radios. your rci's noise comes from the processor. i did it to one of my old 2970's and it didn't improve anything. you will always have white noise.

i can help you do it if you want but its honestly a waste of $10 with that radio.

Check out the Service Manual on CB Tricks

Ranger RCI-2950 Service Manual

There is lots of good information on that sight.

Charles
I know there is a thread on this, But i can't seem to find it. I even looked in the Radio mods Section. The question is : What parts would i need to improve the receive and to take out some of the white noise on a Rci-2950dx I think I remember one part would be the Schottky ??? 2SC2999 ??
Any help woud be much appreciated. Thanks.

73's n have a great day

Leonard

All the 29XX's have a hot receiver. Noisy. Look up your model at cbtricks.com, look at the RX Alignment and adjust the RX/Noise Blanker cams for lower noise. Have to do of course with radio on and connected to an antenna so you can hear what you're doing. I've had to do this all of mine. Works great. I've had 3 2950's, 1 2950DX and still have 2970 and 2995DX. It's easy and works great.

Give yourself a Golden Screwdriver Award when you're done.

Reactions: 1 person
hi triple nickel. not knowing how handy you are with the soldering iron this mod is not for the faint hearted!! ive had 3 2950dx there a great rig but as stated they have a hot rx! my first 2950dx had the vco volts well out of wack adjusted them to spec was much better on rx!! the other just needed alignment ! BUT the best mod was the fl3 filter mod which involves taking it out and cutting the tracks that the small resistor goes onto up to the holes were the legs of the filter go! ive done this to my last 2950dx and have to say its has the best rx by far out of all of them !! hardley any white noise! the fl3 mod was posted on the net i think it was bobs cb that found this problem ? but not sure now as it was a long time ago! hope this helps 73s.

hi triple nickel. not knowing how handy you are with the soldering iron this mod is not for the faint hearted!! ive had 3 2950dx there a great rig but as stated they have a hot rx! my first 2950dx had the vco volts well out of wack adjusted them to spec was much better on rx!! the other just needed alignment ! BUT the best mod was the fl3 filter mod which involves taking it out and cutting the tracks that the small resistor goes onto up to the holes were the legs of the filter go! ive done this to my last 2950dx and have to say its has the best rx by far out of all of them !! hardley any white noise! the fl3 mod was posted on the net i think it was bobs cb that found this problem ? but not sure now as it was a long time ago! hope this helps 73s.

Fl3 Mod mentioned by earthquake in previous post:
RCI 2950DX Image Rejection Modification

Not for the feint of heart!

Reactions: 1 person
yep thats the one jazzsinger thanks for posting it! couldnt find it for love or money maybe this might help triple nickel? it might look a bit complicated but once you get the filter of its easy! this mod worked wonders on my 2950dx 73s.

i know this is an old thread but i will say this anyone just for posterity:

i always just turn the RF Gain knob back to about 10 Oclock or close to that when the skip or noise is strong...

i also heard that plasma TVs will make awful RFI on CB and HF ham radios

Have to say I don't know what RCI did but I got a 2950DX new last week and that crummy white noise is not there like the others I have had , 2950, 2-2950DX green displays, 2970DX and a 2985DX all of them had the same recieve issue but this new black face I have doesn't have that, the serial number has an 11 in the first part of it so it must be new within the last 10 months

Have to say I don't know what RCI did but I got a 2950DX new last week and that crummy white noise is not there like the others I have had , 2950, 2-2950DX green displays, 2970DX and a 2985DX all of them had the same recieve issue but this new black face I have doesn't have that, the serial number has an 11 in the first part of it so it must be new within the last 10 months

INTERESTING .....

I had (2) 2950's a 2950dx and a 5054dx never had a receiver problem.

As for " white noise " sounds like they might have had a production problem since " white noise " is so far down in radios today you should be able to hear a .5Uv signal or less which would be under the antenna noise.

Image Rejection Mod

So why don't rci do the fl3 mod at the factory?

Ranger won't do the FL3 mod because they deny there is a problem!

Anyway, I fitted the BHI NEDSP1061-KBD DSP unit and it does a good job of cleaning up the white noise and a host of other undesirable noises!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.