• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970N2?

If it is tripping the PS; isn't it drawing just a few too many amps for a 300 watt output radio? I mean, a Texas Star DX 350 will put out ~300 watts and draw up to 35 amps. And they are considered a 'high draw' amp - as other amps putting out that much wattage use about 30 amps. Surely, that radio and amp shouldn't draw more than a 50 amp supply can provide.

Just an observation - but it looks as if it is drawing too much current - even for peak modulation...

Mosfet like power,that's means more amp.

Mosfet like power,that's means more amp.

Right.
But going back to the original point of this thread, I am able to run my Galaxy 95t2 (which is 200 PEP watts) on a Samlex 1223/23 amp power supply - with absoluely no problems/glitches. Which is - running that power supply on the very edge of what that power supply was meant to accomplish.

So - I still think something is wrong if the RCI 2070N2 -with ~300 watts PEP- can't stay together with a 50 amp supply. I still think something 'ain't right'...

Rob,
Not all radio's are equal........

Here's something for you think about:
I have 2970dx hooked up right now, it's being power by a Pyramid 26. At full peak with modulation, the radio is pulling 20 amp (this is according to the meter on PS).

So what is the radio doing for power? At a 20 amp pull, it's just barely making 125 watts on the Palstar meter. Is the meter off? Nope, had it check by another meter of greater quality - $450, they were both with in 10 watts on the 300 watt scale.

Now if your not convinced yet, here is another one.
I also had another 2970dx, (this was the older style with the bigger heat sink on the bottom), now this radio would stop my 26 amp supply. So in order to run this radio I had to use my 36 PS. This radio was tuned completely different than the other - power out of this radio was just 175.

Rob,
Not all radio's are equal........

Here's something for you think about:
I have 2970dx hooked up right now, it's being power by a Pyramid 26. At full peak with modulation, the radio is pulling 20 amp (this is according to the meter on PS).

So what is the radio doing for power? At a 20 amp pull, it's just barely making 125 watts on the Palstar meter. Is the meter off? Nope, had it check by another meter of greater quality - $450, they were both with in 10 watts on the 300 watt scale.

Now if your not convinced yet, here is another one.
I also had another 2970dx, (this was the older style with the bigger heat sink on the bottom), now this radio would stop my 26 amp supply. So in order to run this radio I had to use my 36 PS. This radio was tuned completely different than the other - power out of this radio was just 175.

Oh, I fully agree. My point is that the original author of this thread is using a 50 amp supply and having problems with it! Which tells me something isn't right. My example of using a 23 amp supply to make a 200 watt PEP radio work w/o difficulty was the example - is all. Another 100 watts of power shouldn't require double the amperage. I'd put an ammeter accross the input power wires to the radio to differntiate the diagnoses to make sure there isn't something wrong with the power supply...

I'd put an ammeter accross the input power wires to the radio to differntiate the diagnoses to make sure there isn't something wrong with the power supply...
Ya that would sure let know real quick.

I forgot to mention on my above post. My Pyramid 50 amp doesn't do 50 amp, it's actually only rated at 46 I believe.

Something not Right

We know that volts times amps equal watts... ie 2x4=8 :) good of me Right.

Now we have the hard part done lets look at it this way.

13.8 volts allowing for voltage sag we will call it 12 volts.. also helps when calculator
is not handy,he he.

12x50=600 watts and allowing for 50 percent efficiency still gives ya 300 watts.

I suggest that if a Fluke Meter is handy that you fluke it :) or any good clamp on
amp meter or others available, and forget types that dosnt measure power line amperage
between supply and radio.

Another way is use a GM spade fuse holder in the power line till you find one that
does not blow then you know. BTW what size fuse is in the power line of the 2970N2
out of the box ??

If you have not blown it already then that should tell you something.

Just my Thoughts.

Best Regards,
John

Last edited:
We know that volts times amps equal watts... ie 2x4=8 :) good of me Right.

Now we have the hard part done lets look at it this way.

13.8 volts allowing for voltage sag we will call it 12 volts.. also helps when calculator
is not handy,he he.

12x50=600 watts and allowing for 50 percent efficiency still gives ya 300 watts.

I suggest that if a Fluke Meter is handy that you fluke it :) or any good clamp on
amp meter or others available, and forget types that dosnt measure power line amperage
between supply and radio.

Another way is use a GM spade fuse holder in the power line till you find one that
does not blow then you know. BTW what size fuse is in the power line of the 2970N2
out of the box ??

If you have not blown it already then that should tell you something.

Just my Thoughts.

Best Regards,
John

Geeezzzzz

what a dummie I am:(

I think that Rob KI6USW just said the same thing I did and Before me no less

Sorry About that Rob :(

Guess I could have deleted my post.. O Well

John

Last edited:
radioactiveradios.com sells them for $399 "superwhackpacked".

your new so ill be nice and give you a tip. never ever mention radioactiveradio's name in a positive way around here. you will get flamed unmercifully. he does not have the best reputation for his tunes.

Best to tune!

OK, looks like a radio that i need to try out, who would yall suggest putting a tune on it? Been a while since ive been here so i am way out of the loop and dont know anymore

your new so ill be nice and give you a tip. never ever mention radioactiveradio's name in a positive way around here. you will get flamed unmercifully. he does not have the best reputation for his tunes.
I've been thinking of adding SSB to the mobile and was researching this radio. During a search RadioActive hit, so I wanted to see how many kw they were getting from this radio and was surprised to find that they "redesign" the 2970n2 (y)

partial quote from their site .......

"However don't let SMT parts or shade trees guys scare you, we specialize in these radios, and love redesigning them down to the smallest of parts.
"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.