• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2980 DEAD!! HELP!!

w4bss

Aug 7, 2011
I was giving an old RCI 2980. The radio powers on and has great receive but no transmit. Also the 5 digit freq counter is dead, but the led channel display works.
When I key the radio I only get less than a watt, it barely move my watt meter.
I can make most repairs myself, I just need some guidance with these problems.

Thanks!
w4bss

Everything else works fine. Would the voltage regulator cause the freq counter not to work since it receives and all the meters light up??
Thanks for the help!

all the big black radios

had pwr supply problem,they went made to run hard,just 25 watts,and the 2990 and 2995 was the same problems.I never had a problem with my 2980wx,its like gettting a new car and running it at 120mph all day,it was designed for 70mph...hehe if your wanting more pwr get a amp...the pwr supplys we not designed for the higher pwr.i run mine at 17 pep and 7wts am/fm try it with a external pwr supply,it will give ya a idea...the regulattors will make everything act up,73 de JW

Every RCI 2980/2990 ive ever come across has been run wide open with every VR set to max smoke. No wonder these radios dont last..

Im sure this radio was tuned for maximum smoke before I got it. It was giving to me for FREE so I guess I got a nice paper weight for right now. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'd check the voltage coming out of the power supply and see what you have, with it keyed, and unkeyed. It does sound like the power supply failed, or the power supply voltage was turned up over 15-16 volts (I run into it ALL the time on the base units I repair). Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~

I was giving an old RCI 2980. The radio powers on and has great receive but no transmit. Also the 5 digit freq counter is dead, but the led channel display works.
When I key the radio I only get less than a watt, it barely move my watt meter.
I can make most repairs myself, I just need some guidance with these problems.

Thanks!
w4bss

Did you ever find the problem with your RCI2980? I have the same Radio with a similar problem accept everything works including the freq counter. the radio just does not transmit. No draw from the battery and no output. the power meter flics over when keyd up for a split second the back down to nothing.
Thanks
Rex

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.