• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2985DX No Power

jonboatjoe

Dec 30, 2009
Father In-Law has a RCI 2985DX and loves to talk all over the world. His wife died recently and this radio is the only thing that keeps him going. Anyway, when he turns on the radio, nothing comes on (no lights, indicators, nothing). He said that one day they left the house and when they returned, nothing in the radio room worked (tv, radio, vcr, etc...). I suspected a power surge from lightning but he said that when he opened the case on the radio, he didn't smell anything burned or no visual indication of burning. My question is: Is there an inline protector on the radio? Do yall think this is an easy fix? What do we check w/ the volt meter? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Thanks
JOe

If it was a lightning strike; it may have taken out more than just the power supply in the radio. The radio was on when he left it last - so the surge may have affected more than the power circuit. I first would check internally if there isn't a fuse on the board near the power supply. Since the radio isn't lighting up at all - there may be a chance that it is just a minor problem. I would have to venture a guess and say the the rectifier circuit would be the cause of no power getting thru. Since this model isn't a high-output radio; the power supply should be fairly simple.

If you are mildly familiar with electronics; then use your volt meter to check the power diodes/rectifier for voltage output. Should be around ~14-18v DC. The other two leads coming from the transformer should see about the same voltage - but it will be AC instead of DC. PLEASE USE CAUTION! If no volts are coming out at this point; then it is a fair guess to replace that rectifier pack. Then you should get voltage out of the supply and into the radio. There should be a voltage regulator in this same power circuit - a cheap part - that may also need replacing. If your volt meter has a diode checker on it - you might have to remove it and check it. If the radio doesn't respond after this point; then it is a fair bet that you will need to send it off to a reputable shop. Lighning can destroy more parts than we can fix here.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.