• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2990 talkback

kamikaze701st

Apr 21, 2009
just wondering, someone told me that i could cut D80 and it would put talkback in my RCI 2990. has anyone heard of this or is there a better/easier way to put talkback in this radio? also, i took off the orange slip covers that made the meter lights orange...does anyone know where i can get direct replacement led lights or different color slip covers for the bulbs for the meter and lcd? thanks

RCI 2290, D104 Silver Eagle, A-99

Hi guy,

I don't know about the D80 mod but in most radios you can add the "simple talkback mod" which is soldering a resistor across the PA and External Speaker jacks at a convenient place inside. It's usually done on the solder side of the boards. It's certainly easy enough to try and if it doesn't work you can take it right off.

Use ordinary 1/4 watt resistors. I did this to a Cobra 29 and worked fine. Around a 100 ohm resistor gives a nice LIGHT talkback. Use a smaller value like 56 ohms for louder talkback. While you're at it you can put a toggle switch in line with one leg of the resistor so you can turn it off. Otherwise it will be full time talkback. Or I recon you could use a variable resistor (potentiometer) of 0~100 ohms and have variable talkback.

I have no idea about additional slip-on lenses but I sell LEDs in all colors along with the cool slow color-changing LED's, and a resistor for each to allow operation off of 12-14. $2.00 shipped for any.

I have the color-changing, white, green, blue, purple, red and amber. All are 5MM size.

Good luck.

Hi guy,

I don't know about the D80 mod but in most radios you can add the "simple talkback mod" which is soldering a resistor across the PA and External Speaker jacks at a convenient place inside. It's usually done on the solder side of the boards. It's certainly easy enough to try and if it doesn't work you can take it right off.

Use ordinary 1/4 watt resistors. I did this to a Cobra 29 and worked fine. Around a 100 ohm resistor gives a nice LIGHT talkback. Use a smaller value like 56 ohms for louder talkback. While you're at it you can put a toggle switch in line with one leg of the resistor so you can turn it off. Otherwise it will be full time talkback. Or I recon you could use a variable resistor (potentiometer) of 0~100 ohms and have variable talkback.

Good luck.

This will not work on a RCI2990, your best bet would be to use the Magnum UTB-1 talkbalk board.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.