• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995 DXCF and Freq Counter???

SteveSteve

Jul 2, 2020
On the back of new 2995's, there is a rca jack to add a frequency counter. I haven't found any aftermarket counters that seem to plug in to a radio with just a rca connection. All counters I'm seeing are using a 6 pin plug.Does anyone know what brand/model of freq counter works with this rca jack? And please, no need to point out to me the 2995 already has a freq counter as has been told to me over and over on other sites. Seems a lot of people are a bit confused between frequency counters and frequency displays.
Thanks for any help.

That socket is the single silliest accessory I have seen on a CB/ham radio in decades.

It first appeared on radios from that factory when there was no frequency display on the front. The Excalibur, Galaxy SSB and Galaxy Echo models had this jack. But no counter display.

This socket is just an attenuated sample of the transmitter's output to the antenna. Frequency counters that had two SO-239 coax sockets on the rear panel were meant to be placed inline with the antenna coax using a jumper from the counter to the radio. This was a popular accessory in the 80s when the only CB radio with this display was a Cobra 2000 or CPI. (Or "ARF"). A so-called "bench" counter meant for workbench use would have a single BNC socket on the front panel. A 'scope probe or similar hookup would tap the signal you wanted to count.

A patch cord from the radio's 'counter' socket to this sort of general-purpose frequency counter will read only when transmitting AM, and then only if you don't modulate it. Only a dead carrier is stable enough for a counter to display a stable frequency. This kind of counter will display only zero while receiving.

When the more-sophisticated built-in frequency displays first appeared in the Galaxy Saturn model I wondered why that 'counter' socket was still there. Not terribly useful. The built-in display shows your receiver frequency full time. The external socket hookup only works for AM transmit.

Three-plus decades later I'm still waiting for an answer.

Last edited:
Nomadradio. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out. I now fully understand my situation with that rca jack, and realize now its a waste of time trying to find a freq counter for that jack. Wow, what a crock !
Thanks again
Steve 999,BC, Canada

On the back of new 2995's, there is a rca jack to add a frequency counter. I haven't found any aftermarket counters that seem to plug in to a radio with just a rca connection. All counters I'm seeing are using a 6 pin plug.Does anyone know what brand/model of freq counter works with this rca jack? And please, no need to point out to me the 2995 already has a freq counter as has been told to me over and over on other sites. Seems a lot of people are a bit confused between frequency counters and frequency displays.
Thanks for any help.
I just added one (powered by 9v battery) to my MFJ-207 antenna analyzer. Works well but battery drains fast. Would be simple to connect. Front freq Ctr in foam.JPGGot it from AliExpress and really cheap (<$20 delivered) I used silicone to glue it into foam/insulation so it doesn't break when dropped. Only took a moment to attack the phono plug.
Neil, n2eye

Attachments

• Foam mounted Freq Cntr.JPG
    Foam mounted Freq Cntr.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • Freq Counter mfj-207 a.JPG
    Freq Counter mfj-207 a.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
The backlight is the real power hog in this setup. If the display is reflective enough to read without the backlight, you'd get longer battery life with it unhooked, or on a switch. And if you can't read it from room light alone, you just need a stouter power source.

I just added one (powered by 9v battery) to my MFJ-207 antenna analyzer. Works well but battery drains fast. Would be simple to connect. View attachment 58853Got it from AliExpress and really cheap (<$20 delivered) I used silicone to glue it into foam/insulation so it doesn't break when dropped. Only took a moment to attack the phono plug.
Neil, n2eye
Very good...thanks for sharing...aliexpress???please tell me more....was it a kit...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.