• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995dx HP stingy signal meter

Assuming it is tuned as you say...

Just turn up VR1 (AM) and VR2 (SSB) until you like what the meter tells you. Wait for a station with a consistent signal level and match it to what your other radios say.

The alternative is to connect a 50uV (-73dBm into 50Ω) RF signal source to the antenna jack and then adjust those same pots until the needle reads S9. If you don't have the ability to accurately generate a -73dBm signal at 27MHz, you will be paying someone to do it for you.

But ask yourself this before you do. If the guy who so professionally aligned the radio cannot do something as simple as a meter alignment at the same time, how confident are you in the RF alignment?
I will need to find some local that make the proper adjustments. This is above my pay grade...I am not crazy about paying any shipping cost at this time.

Maybe this is normal for this radio.....

Reactions: USXDriver
Unless you get a Ranger from a reputable shop you are not going to be happy
Every single time I've bought a Ranger I've been unhappy 'cause they always have endless issues. It's been that way since the 90's and the new ones are even worse than the old. Instead of learning from their mistakes they just stick their heads in the sand and endlessly repeat them. Their engineering department is a sick joke.

My late 1990's RCI-2970 failed from dozens of cold solder joints exacerbated by boards that were slightly bent to fit them in the case. It's now 2024 and they're still building them the same way !!

My radio was purchased from rooster CB. So far I’ve really enjoyed the radio, I think it is an awesome radio.

Last edited:
Tuned and ready

Ok.

So then...
Hello,
I just received my radio and I noticed that the S-meter is very stingy. I was wondering if there is any adjustment for the meter

What was the problem?

Usually when someone does a "Tuned and Ready" - did they demonstrate it to you? No? Because it was mail order? Then; did they even verify that the radio did receive and show - that it was working correctly before they did the work you requested?

Well, then, I don't think it's tuned and ready because you never were allowed to see it in operation BEFORE you got the radio and BEFORE the tune up even occurred.

This seems to be a case of they "grab a boxed radio" they do the work and simply send it off to the new buyer - never bothering to first look at it and check to see if the radio is even up to the level it should be before the did the work.

Part of what I did for a local retailer for Galaxy, is the very thing this thread describes. Scenario, "Seems to be this was to do that, did this, then, I got it this way" - then it doesn't work so I returned it. (Directors Cut)

It's the "I returned it" part is where I had to redo and realign some (many) radios that got "modded" that never were fully tried and tested BEFORE they even got sent out by Galaxy - part of the receiving technicians job is to go over that piece of work and correct conditions to make them fully functional and to VERIFY that the radio will function - BEFORE the work requested by the customer is done to it.

By that very action, or lack thereof - the buyer is committing to the sale - so when the radio arrives and it's not working, the SELLER needs to stand behind the work.

It's not Galaxy's fault for what a technician / Middle man, did or did not do to the radio when they sold it.

You are very lucky if Galaxy will continue to stand behind their products that had work done to their platforms by others that did or did not do a job right - Galaxy/RCI does this to keep customers coming back for more.

It's not exactly unconditional. You don't see a bill, if they want to enforce a warranty work issue, they just make you pay more for the NEXT radio you buy from them which covers the cost. Return on Investment - recoup - it may not seem like much, but over several platforms and retailers selling their products, the reaped benefits offset and reimburse Galaxy (and their points of Origin) for all the work their "repair" crews do.

Punishment? Although it seems to fit here, no - hardly - more like saving face from someone else's embarrassing work

When you read that tag on the back of a T-shirt that says "Made in Vietnam" - think about that process they do to make those articles of clothing, and apply it to your radio you just purchased.

If you feel guilty, don't,

You were just like many others that get pawled, yes I said that as verb-past tense - due to the effort you went thru to experience such an event, into thinking "Tuned and Ready" or "Whack Pack" or "any type of - Tuneup" means something more than it really is.

Reactions: USXDriver and sp5it
He normally does a video , but was slammed on orders and to top it off got very sick and behind. So to answer your question no video was made.

2995dx adjustments.png

I can personally confirm Rangers less than stellar quality control. I bought either a Ranger RCI-6900FHP or RCI-2950 (Cant remember) back in the early 2000's from the one and only expert Bill Good at FG Best Communication in Ontario California. Paid top dollar for that boy and when Bill handed it to me he said he had to do a bunch of work for it right out of the box but its good now. Bill (RIP) had a reputation for awesome work and I think even worked for Ranger for a while IIRC. I also bought a amp from him to go with the radio, he set everything up for me and it was one of the best setups I ever owned.

I can personally confirm Rangers less than stellar quality control. I bought either a Ranger RCI-6900FHP or RCI-2950 (Cant remember) back in the early 2000's from the one and only expert Bill Good at FG Best Communication in Ontario California. Paid top dollar for that boy and when Bill handed it to me he said he had to do a bunch of work for it right out of the box but its good now. Bill (RIP) had a reputation for awesome work and I think even worked for Ranger for a while IIRC. I also bought a amp from him to go with the radio, he set everything up for me and it was one of the best setups I ever owned.
I had a 2950dx that Bill set up for me with his improved RX mods done to the radio, I ( unfortunately) allowed myself to be talked out of it for almost twice what I originally paid for it.
Mr Peng and a few of the guys from Ranger actually meet with Bill at FG Best back when they they were building the 2950's and was responsible for the improvements that went into the later DX models.
Even at that he said they did NOT implement all of his recommendations into the radios.
Bill Good of FG Best and John Mahoney of Panther Electronics were , in my opinion, the two best techs in the US back then.
Sad that we lost both have of them.
Rip

Jeff

Reactions: USXDriver
Before going thru all this trouble are you sure the Stryker S meter was accurate?
Sure is.
The best that I have seen is when I keyed up my Strker 955 sitting right beside it the needle went 20 db. Oh well, I am having my radio friend adjust it on day. Thanks for everybody's help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.