• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2995DX Purchase

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Just helped a friend / local cber buy a RCI 2995DX. we are both unsure if it will have the "E-Chip" inside the bag next to the microphone? it was just purchased off eBay for $559.99 + Free shipping.

Depends, it will either have it, it should have but the seller removed it, or it's the newest version that no longer is converted by a simple chip.

With radio's the "best price" is not always the best deal. It is best to buy a radio from a shop that does good tech work. This way the radio is converted, tuned, and aligned once...........and then you never have to mess with it.

This is why radio's from Copper and H&Y are not the best choice. I would rather buy a radio from say DTB Radio, and know that everything is properly done correctly. Yea it might cost 30-40 bucks more but that's well worth it.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with 9C1Driver, many - if not all - radios sold are not really aligned from the factory nor the retailer. Sparky says he 'aligns' radios that are sold - or at lest 'peaks and tunes' them. Bought a Ranger TR-696FD-1 and it wasn't even close! I got a Cobra 148GTL from Cobra - directly - for a review; and it was not aligned. In fact, it was waay off! Think they do that to keep the FCC happy because they want radios at or below legal output. After the alignments were done, either radio was a real performer. Just pay the extra $40 from DTB Radio and know it was done right . . .

Last edited:
Well its new so.....I dnt think he is worried about unlocked clarifiers etc.....tho if it is the newer radio please link me to the right mod. Thanks.

You missed the point. That E-Bay special needs converted and since RCI sets them for 10m from the factory it needs re-aligned and converted. Not to mention the factory alignment for most radio's is a "ballpark" alignment.

There is no way to tell what it will take to at least convert it yourself until you get it. There has been some recent changes to all Exports due to FCC heat on the companys that make them. The complaint from hams was it's too easy. Now you will have to solder and remove different parts.

Even if you can convert it you will still need to re-align the receive for 11m, and make sure it's on frequency. Here is a link for the alignment procedures.

Ranger RCI-2995DX

Click on the factory service manual and then chapter 6 is the complete alignment procedures. As you will soon find out your miles and money ahead to pay DTB his 40-50 bucks.

And with that I am done beating the dead horse.

When you get it and find that it needs an alignment, call Ranger and tell them that it seems off spec.

They will give you a return authorization number for warranty service. In my case, I have sent them my 2950DX, 2970N2 and a 2995DX after they were purchased separately. They were all sent to a shop in Chicago (can't remember the name, but was mentioned in a thread I started a couple weeks ago) and all came back playing very well. I still have the 2950.

All came back within 2 weeks and only cost me shipping one way.

Cheaper and better than a Spark Man cut, trash and tune.

Ask the seller about the inclusion of the E-chip or if it's a newer differently modified radio. He should know.

You missed the point. That E-Bay special needs converted and since RCI sets them for 10m from the factory it needs re-aligned and converted. Not to mention the factory alignment for most radio's is a "ballpark" alignment.

There is no way to tell what it will take to at least convert it yourself until you get it. There has been some recent changes to all Exports due to FCC heat on the companys that make them. The complaint from hams was it's too easy. Now you will have to solder and remove different parts.

Even if you can convert it you will still need to re-align the receive for 11m, and make sure it's on frequency. Here is a link for the alignment procedures.

Ranger RCI-2995DX

Click on the factory service manual and then chapter 6 is the complete alignment procedures. As you will soon find out your miles and money ahead to pay DTB his 40-50 bucks.

And with that I am done beating the dead horse.

No reason.
To take insult!

I know it will need an alignment Jesus.... again it isn't for me. When he finds it needs a alignment then he will send to a shop.

Thanks for the link.

haha well what do i know.

checked a message this morning on eBay and the guy is offering $20 for the 11m mod. and or another $70 for a peak and tune. what a mud duck. he needs to send the E Chip in the bag with the mic in the radio.

A bit off topic, but why spend sooooo much for a "single" band radio? For $600 you could get any number of multi band HF rigs that are tons more bang for the buck. Not being a smarty pants, Im just curious if this was even suggested to the fellow prior to purchase?

A bit off topic, but why spend sooooo much for a "single" band radio? For $600 you could get any number of multi band HF rigs that are tons more bang for the buck. Not being a smarty pants, Im just curious if this was even suggested to the fellow prior to purchase?

They 3 band rigs: 10,11,12

Another draw is they have loud AM audio. Good AM capability is important to many 11-10 ops. For talking on AM, these Exports will kick all the KenYaeComms down the road.

They 3 band rigs: 10,11,12

Another draw is they have loud AM audio. Good AM capability is important to many 11-10 ops. For talking on AM, these Exports will kick all the KenYaeComms down the road.

I put single in "" because most folks use these for 11 and free band. But yes they are 10, 11 and 12 meter capable.

As for awesome AM. I have yet to hear an export or cb (except the tram 201's) that sound near as good as an Yaesu ft101xx. Heck I heard a gent using an icom 718 with a cheap outboard parametric equalizer and he sounded broadcast quality. Im sorry, but I disagree with you there. My ICOM 746 with a stable ALC voltage does VERY well to boot. 10 watt carrier will give 25-30 avg and near 60 on peak when I raise my voice.

Reactions: 1 person
I put single in "" because most folks use these for 11 and free band. But yes they are 10, 11 and 12 meter capable.

As for awesome AM. I have yet to hear an export or cb (except the tram 201's) that sound near as good as an Yaesu ft101xx. Heck I heard a gent using an icom 718 with a cheap outboard parametric equalizer and he sounded broadcast quality. Im sorry, but I disagree with you there. My ICOM 746 with a stable ALC voltage does VERY well to boot. 10 watt carrier will give 25-30 avg and near 60 on peak when I raise my voice.

Agree somewhat. I also used to have a 746 and they do sound good on AM. But I would be slow to dismiss the audio quality of the Exports vs. most ham rigs. Maybe you've just haven't heard enough of them or you are exaggerating......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.