• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 6900f-150

i had a 6900 f25 and i liked it. but it did drift on ssb. that is and was my only complaint.. i have always liked rangers...

Well...my experience was not good with the 6900F25.

The first new one that I had, would drift and it had the problem of a "am carrier" that would creep up the band. I have heard some say that it was called a "birdie, anyway, it was very annoying when talking with some one, for it would wipe their signal out.

I then sent that radio back and it was replace with a new one. The new one had the same problem with the "am carrier", so I sold it.

3rd one I bought used with a amp, couldn't pass up the deal. Anyway that radio also would drift on TX and it too had the "carrier" that would move up the band.
Sold it, and kept the amp.

Will never have another one of them radio's again. So that's my opinion on them radio's.

Oh, one more thing, the guy I sold the radio to, he use it for 3 mo's and the SSB circuit went out.

I've had 3 of the 6900-F25's. (The same radio without the amp.

On the first two I also got the birdie noise that drifted through the bands. It sounds like in a wind storm or a chirping bird that climbs s-units and then moves on to another freq/band.

The last one I got from a local that knew what to do to stop the defect. It's been a good radio and great reports where if I want to sell the radio let them know. I've had it probably four years now. It's been hard to tell because radios will pick up some strange noises, but I think the birdie is trying to start up.

It also seems like the NB/ANL isn't working as good as it used to. Maybe it needs to go in for an alignment/tune up.

It drifts bad. On SSB I also get good reports, but the drifting is a real PITA adjusting all of the time!

On the echo it comes from the factory set like a repeter toy. You have to open up the radio and take a lot of time adjusting it listening to it through another radio to get it sounding right. Once set right it sounds good. It also needs to be adjusted because it will effect the sound with it off giving a lot of reverb tinnie sound.

Would I buy another one, I like it, but I don't think so.

Mr Gnome

I Have a 6900-F25 that I run in my truck at times, never had a problem with it to date....it might be a later model ( it has the "black no slip" knobs) but after I turn it on and let it warm up about 15 min, it is rock stable on SSB. Never had the Birdie problem.

You have to open up the radio and take a lot of time adjusting it listening to it through another radio to get it sounding right.

Mr Gnome, Mine has switchable/adjustable talkback right on the radio (built in factory) I did have to open the cover to adjust it.
I am thinking there must be a few different models of this radio, when I get home next week, I will pull the covers, and check the Board Number. Larry (DX Man) Do you remember what board you had in your?

Jeff

AudioShockwav,

I also have that switchable/adjustable talkback on it and tried setting the echo off that at first. But for me just using the talkback I couldn't get the true sound that another radio would pick up located in a different area in the house with someone else talking on it. Also a little squeal on the TB running the D-104 set at the level where it will be run at was a problem with TB.

Mr Gnome

I've got a RCI 6900F-150 that's been use for a short time as a base radio only. It a great transceiver and I love it but I'm considering giving it up along with other pieces of equipment.

For what its worth, The 'birdie' noises are often the result of using a cheap switching-type power supply. No; I've never owned this Ranger; but I do own the lesser TR696FD1. After I bought a Samlex 1223 power supply, I read many reviews on it. Seems that if it was used on HF radios in particular; many reported the 'birdie' blues. So, I use it for the 2m/440 radio and it doesn't do that using those bands.

Makes a good argument in using a conventional old-school transformer/diode/tuned filtered/fully-regulated power supply.
Please notice that when the Ranger in question had problems - it was when being used on a base setup is when the problem seems to occur the most.
The guys who had the Ranger in a mobile setting didn't seem to have the same complaint.
Just two cents worth...

i owned one it was okay for the every now and ssb operator
but for me it driftedwayyyy to much.now i gotta magnum omegaforce
thats rock solid on ssb and every bit as loud if not louder than
my 6900.my opion big disappoint from rci

Yeah, I just bought an OmegaForce S45 last week. Haven't had the opportunity to hook it up and check it out with a good base antenna. Maybe tonight - maybe.
It really has a lot more features than a lot of radios have, I just hope I can keep it down and be cool with it.
I like the Ranger that I do have, it runs clean and was a real bargain!

No, it's not hacked up. As you know, the freq's are changed by moving a diode/jumper - so there's no cutting of parts. The guy I bought it from had it set up for 10-11 meters, ir was also tweaked and peaked. Haven't put it on a meter yet - either. Since it has all of the major features that one would want, there is really no need for it. It is pretty new, has only a couple of nicks on it but missing the mic clip and a couple of thumbscrews. Bought it off a guy from eBay. Hooked it up to a K-40 and a power supply just to hear it recieve and play with the functions a bit. Never keyed it up, just checked it out. It really is an amazing bit of workmanship for the price. I'm impressed with it, really. The channel up/down on the mic was a mystery, until I took a closer look at it. Pretty neat how they did that - IMO.

I have antenna problems right now. I'm ready to get a 5/8 wave Maco and just get it over with at this point. Tonight I'm going to decide to either fix that $%^&* $15 garage sale antenna I have now, or go online and buy a Maco V5/8/5000 and settle the issue. I like aluminum, I used to haver a Big Stick years ago and they just aren't the same animal. Aluminum has always been my faviorite, I hope the Maco lives uo to expectations.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.