• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI2950DX (swr, mem, ent) operation

dxbarefoot

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 31, 2011
Central Iowa
Greetings to all, first time poster, however long time monitoring.

I have an issue with my RCI2950DX (aprox 13yrs old)...The SWR, MEM and Enter button's do not work any more when pressed. I noticed this when I wasn't able to access the memory channels. I expernenced this aprox a year ago and was able to get out of it, but not sure how I accomplished it. :confused:
This time, I have opened up the case - all plugin connections were secure, but no memory. Only the error noise when the button is pushed.

Have you expernenced this and how did you get the radio back?

73's ~ dxbarefoot
Brian in Iowa

If this model has the memory backup battery, check it and see if it is getting weak with a volt meter. Could be effecting the operation of these other functions.

good luck

If this does have a Battery, I am unsure where it is located at. I will review the schematic and follow up...

73's ~ dxbarefoot
-Brian in Iowa

If this model has the memory backup battery.
These won't have the battery. The "non" dx models do tho.

I've never had the problem like you are saying dxbarefoot, sorry no help here.

One thought - the key pad might need replacing and if that is the case, then it might be better to sell it and just get one of the newer models that's out now.

I reveiwed the schematic and as DXman stated...I didn't see a battery. I will continue to play around with it and see where it takes me. I will miss scanning the 10m repeaters stored in the memory. It's not the end of the world as it still scans the freq's.

Wire Weasel, DXman - Thanks for your input...

My 2970 used to scramble its memories alot cos the power supply had slippery banana plugs. Pull the 11meter echip and cycle the power on and off. That reset most problems for me

Fodendaf,
What does the 11m echip look like and where is it located? I ask because when looking inside my radio, I can see jumper pins on the backside of the display (where I believe the jumpers should be) however no jumpers are present...there is a short pigtale leading to a PCB wrapped in heat shrink tubing. I believe this is plugged into the backside of the display. Unsure what it is for though. I purchased the radio new and began using it, so I am rather unfamiliar with the insides.

I believe The pigtail u described to be the chip it has a 3 wire block pluging into 3 pins at the front of the radio underneath pairs of jumpers my n2 has 2 jumpers some have 3. Welcome to CBTricks has a picture of the echip if u are unsure in the section for that radio

I don't know if this would work but Also u might try short both power leads together and leave the radio overnight. The low back voltage on the protection diode might be enough to drain the memory capacitor.

The radio probably reset itself before because of dry joints on the 11 meter echip. It would happen intermittently on my own and i would have to power on the radio again to get on to the crazy forty.

Hi all,

It appears I didn't hit 'submit' on my post yesterday - my bad...

Moving forward, I pulled the 11m echip, powered on the radio and it reverted back to the dual band function as expected, however the memory function didn't work. I plugged in the echip and the memory function didn't work. I pressed the plug connectors on the back of the display, powered the radio on and the memory function worked. I exited out of the memory function and tuned to a specific freq and went through the process to save it to memory and it didn't work.
Hmmm! I think I will pull each plug from the back of the display and plug it back in (powering radio off/on) to determine if it is a specific connector causing problems. I may also spray the connector with anti oxidizing spray to see if that helps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.