• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI69 Base "low/high" switch

radio429

Jun 14, 2008
North Carolina
I haven't had but one of these RCI69 Base units in the shop before and it was basically DOA and went back to warranty repair (Chris H.) When it came back all was well and I just forwarded it to the customer. Now I have another one brought in by a customer and the low/high switch will not function. I believe it is because it wasn't ever modded for the band switch to work. It has the jumper moved for the frequency conversion but only has the regular CB bands and above (6 bands only). The lower frequencies are not available. Am I missing a another jumper setting somewhere?? Don't have any info on this chassis yet. Haven't found it on the web anywhere either.

I haven't had but one of these RCI69 Base units in the shop before and it was basically DOA and went back to warranty repair (Chris H.) When it came back all was well and I just forwarded it to the customer. Now I have another one brought in by a customer and the low/high switch will not function. I believe it is because it wasn't ever modded for the band switch to work. It has the jumper moved for the frequency conversion but only has the regular CB bands and above (6 bands only). The lower frequencies are not available. Am I missing a another jumper setting somewhere?? Don't have any info on this chassis yet. Haven't found it on the web anywhere either.
Ok. I have to reply to myself to maybe help someone else with the same odd problem. Had someone email me the correct modification and I double checked it and it was already done, the low/high flip switch still wasn't working. Turns out after close inspection, there was some glue or goo up in the little jumper near the front of the board near the various mode offset tuning cans. Weird! Never had this happen before. It's the simple little silly things that get you. Who would expect a simple header jumper to not be conducting! And who would expect glue to be in it. First time for everything. Duh!

Ok. I have to reply to myself to maybe help someone else with the same odd problem. Had someone email me the correct modification and I double checked it and it was already done, the low/high flip switch still wasn't working. Turns out after close inspection, there was some glue or goo up in the little jumper near the front of the board near the various mode offset tuning cans. Weird! Never had this happen before. It's the simple little silly things that get you. Who would expect a simple header jumper to not be conducting! And who would expect glue to be in it. First time for everything. Duh!
It's the adhesive they use to hold the plugs in place when the boards run through the solder flowed process. Mix that with all the flux left behind and it's a wonder we don't have more issues. I've seen that crap inside the switches and cause similar issues. Ranger doesn't seem to have a very good standard of process and it shows.

Thanks for your share

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It's the adhesive they use to hold the plugs in place when the boards run through the solder flowed process. Mix that with all the flux left behind and it's a wonder we don't have more issues. I've seen that crap inside the switches and cause similar issues. Ranger doesn't seem to have a very good standard of process and it shows.

Thanks for your share
Yes, seen quite a bit of quality control issues lately. Thanks for the reply!

My 69 was the same way .....cleaned it and bingo,different radio.Works just fine now

Reactions: undertaker
Had another RCI69 base unit come in with no RF output just a couple of weeks ago. Bias pots reading open, same gunk issue, RT1's shot. Ended up replacing the pots as cleaning wasn't really effective, still had jumpy adjustment. New output transistors, bias potentiometers, bias adjusted, back up and running well.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.