• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RD104E

chec0

Feb 18, 2007
Massachusetts
Got my RD104E wired up for my cobra 148gtl, i have been told i have a horrible squeal so I turned the mic gain on radio down to about 12 o'clock and the mic itself is only at 1.5 to 2. Could my roger beep that likes to feedback through my speaker be the cuase??? it does it wether the roger beep is on or off or is it just how these mics gotta be run

Hows the radio tuned ? Do you have talkback installed ? 148s have big audio to begin with , I could see your radio working fine the way you have it set before it takes off to squeal land. But it should be able to take everything you can throw at it in the audio department if it's tuned right .(to a degree anyway) Roger beep ? No offence here , but I hate those things with a passion !! could it cause you a problem ? YES !But not necessarily. Whats your antenna system all about ? bottom line here is that I think with the way you have the audio set on the radio and mic without squealing , IM sure you will still have all the audio you would need. Remember , it's a NC Mic and you need to basically eat those mic's when your talking into them.

ok , I see you have a 10K with problems on your end , Go to the 10K section and read some threads or put your own question in there , you can even write the guy at 10K , he is very helpful. Sometimes taking the time to read up , you can find answers to your questions , but hey ! I totally understand , we usually want are stuff to work yesterday. :p Good luck to you

its the mic ,get something else.for example i just installed a radio in my work van.three stock mics squeeled on it ,couldnt turn the gain up past 11oclock with any of them.tried a cobra power mic ...worked fine no squeel with the gain all the way up.tried a d104m6b ,again not a problem.but i couldnt even run a stock mic on it .go figure.borrow a mic if you have to just to try something different.

those rd mics arent that good to begin with .i have seen them on sale very cheap lately which means dealers are "dumping" them .not hard to figure out why.

yeppers ,most of the cheaper mics if needed to be used, I place a resistor or cap in line and it cuts the audio to kill the squeal.
its a ohm thing, always will be on a uni mic..
but then again all the RB units that come out peeps ground them to the mic plug instead of the radios chassis or can ,and this causes squealing it depends have to see the setup in order to get a better clue...
good luck..

the radio did have talkback when i got it but it was one that you couldnt turn off or anything so i had my buddy "take it out" or maybe its still there somewhere i myself have no clue i dont open radio's im gonna bring it back to him and have him work on it and the Mic and the Mic is brand new, I also cant just get any Mic to try cause all my buddy's have 4-pin mic's im the only guy running with a 5-pin

It's a 5 pin thing ;) . I had the SAME problem. No matter what power mic I used on my cobra 148 or my uniden grant XLs, it would do the same thing you're talking about. A guy that had an online cb shop that's no longer in business, said that it has to do with the grounding being different in the 5 pins. Shield and ground is seperate on those radios. He told me to try running a 4 pin mic through a 4 to 5 pin adapter, and sure enough, it cleared it right up.

A strange thing about 1 of the best CB radio chassies ever made that isn't talked about very much Gearhead and you just talked about it. Those radios seem to have a audio section unlike so many others , FANTASTIC comes to mind , but can be picky when it comes to microphones , especially in a mobile , especially concerning grounding/antenna and talkback if used ? a good echo board can even excelerate the problem concerning the mic used. Those are one radio that can be suited for it's own 600 ohm stock mic , audio is surely not a problem on those radios . For years I used the 575M6 just cracked open with about half way on my Grant XLs mic gain with a TRB-1 echo board. The bottom line with those radios where audio is concerned is that to much audio is to much audio for the simple fact they were born with audio. What a FANTASTIC AM/SSB radio Uniden once made ! :cry: with the right tuning on those with a good power source on the side and a good stock mic or non-powered NC mic is more then enough with those radios. I honestly speak more of the radio being in a mobile here , as a base on a big antenna , any D-104 / Sadelta / Shure 526-T (my favorite) / Turner will sound so sweet , What a radio chassie indeed !! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.